Pass.
Pass.
In the court ...

Suppers Ready
Closer to the edge
Pass.
Pass.
In the court ...
Funny group Jethro Tull, difficult to put your finger on. Some wouldn't class them as prog rock, certainly not hard rock - more folky, mainstream. Some very strong songs and good musicians. I particularly liked Iain Andersons voice. If you havent already, give Living in the Past a listen which is a double album compilation of singles + some live tracks showcasing their strengths very well

Funny group Jethro Tull, difficult to put your finger on. Some wouldn't class them as prog rock, certainly not hard rock - more folky, mainstream. Some very strong songs and good musicians. I particularly liked Iain Andersons voice. If you havent already, give Living in the Past a listen which is a double album compilation of singles + some live tracks showcasing their strengths very well
I like very much the footage ive seen on u tube over the years,but couldnt remember any track names!
Will give a listen,cheers for heads up

Tull are a brilliant band. Definitely hard to categorise as they play a variety of styles but they were undoubtedly progressive at one point.

I've recently been enjoying their box set edition of Stormwatch, some of the stuff that didn't make it onto the album is excellent.

Awaken was from Going For The One and no our Rickulas came back for this one.... Have a quick read of this and then a little listen to the track to see if you can find it in your heart to squeeze it into a top 5. Totally blows me away in mind body and spirit and bless you Anderson and co.

• It's a spiritual song where Anderson is singing to what he calls "The master of our existence." These themes of enlightenment and seeking your higher self are a touchstone of Anderson's lyrics.
  • Jon Anderson got the idea for this song after reading the book The Singer: A Classic Retelling of Cosmic Conflict by Calvin Miller. The book tells the story of God through the eyes of a troubadour.
  • Keyboard player Rick Wakeman rejoined Yes for the Going For The One album and is a key contributor on this track. He played the church organ that comes in near the end of the song - and he actually played it in a church. The cathedral was about 10 miles away from the studio, so his part was recorded over a telephone line. This would be ghetto production in America or England, where church sounds were typically recorded in the church (see: "The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel), but Yes recorded the album at Mountain Studios in Montreux, Switzerland, where the phone lines had spectacular clarity. Instead of using a mobile recording unit, they simply rented a phone line for the day and recorded it in the studio.
  • Yes guitarist Steve Howe wrote the music for this song, and Jon Anderson wrote the lyrics and worked on the arrangement. Keyboard player Patrick Moraz was still with the band when the song was conceived, and he claims that he had a hand in writing it. Moraz says you can hear similarities in his song "Time For a Change," which was released on his solo album Out in the Sun shortly before Going For The One came out.

Have to be honest, I never thought I’d see the day where I read on Bluemoon of a poster extolling the virtues of a track by Yes, and this one in particular, but you my friend, have just blown me away with the above.
I’ll keep this brief; I agree with your every word. Yes are one of my favourite ever bands, and Awaken is my favourite track of theirs. Truly sublime.
(PS check out the live version from 78 at Wembley Arena broadcast on the radio 1 Friday Rock Show - I’m pretty sure it’s on YouTube somewhere - up there with the original - but with added Rick ;-)

Have to be honest, I never thought I’d see the day where I read on Bluemoon of a poster extolling the virtues of a track by Yes, and this one in particular, but you my friend, have just blown me away with the above.
I’ll keep this brief; I agree with your every word. Yes are one of my favourite ever bands, and Awaken is my favourite track of theirs. Truly sublime.
(PS check out the live version from 78 at Wembley Arena broadcast on the radio 1 Friday Rock Show - I’m pretty sure it’s on YouTube somewhere - up there with the original - but with added Rick ;-)

ARW did a stellar version of Awaken when they toured.

Yes are the kings of prog as far as I am concerned.

ARW did a stellar version of Awaken when they toured.

Yes are the kings of prog as far as I am concerned.

Agreed buddy. Saw that tour at the Apollo - and bought the dvd since they made the surprising decision to film their tour dvd there. Maybe It was Lancastrian Anderson, or Wakeman who chose Manchester. Handy for reliving it ;-)

Reactions: OB1
Thick as a Brick, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight Starship Trooper or Roundabout (can't decide).

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.