Your most personally moving moment in sports history (apart from City)

Lovebitesandeveryfing

This obviously excludes anything to do with City. We all know that 99% of posters would choose something from City's history, most probably 93:20.

The reason why I'm starting this is that, for the umpteenth time, I've just watched Red Rum win his third at Aintree. Now I'm not even a racing fan, know virtually nothing about it, but I swear that brings tears to my eyes every fucking time! Something about the way that horse pricks up his ears as he crosses the finishing line, in acknowledgment of the roar of the crowd, just kills me.

I think that Hissan El Gerrouj finally winning an Olympic 1500m gold in Athens after trying for so long comes an honourable second. Again, it's the look on his face as he crosses the finishing line. Something absolutely illuminated in his face.

What's your choice?

The one moment that stands out for me is Murray winning Wimbledon. I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea but he has had the weight on his shoulders for years regarding winning Wimbledon plus he’s been in an era where he’s been up against arguably the three greatest tennis players to ever play the game.
I find him honest and not robotic like a lot of athletes, he really lets his emotions out and can tell how much it means to him when he wins grand slams.
Also I find it very moving when he talks about Dunblane etc.

Torville and Dean in Lillehammer.

Robbed by bent judges.

This obviously excludes anything to do with City. We all know that 99% of posters would choose something from City's history, most probably 93:20.

The reason why I'm starting this is that, for the umpteenth time, I've just watched Red Rum win his third at Aintree. Now I'm not even a racing fan, know virtually nothing about it, but I swear that brings tears to my eyes every fucking time! Something about the way that horse pricks up his ears as he crosses the finishing line, in acknowledgment of the roar of the crowd, just kills me.

I think that Hissan El Gerrouj finally winning an Olympic 1500m gold in Athens after trying for so long comes an honourable second. Again, it's the look on his face as he crosses the finishing line. Something absolutely illuminated in his face.

What's your choice?

Yeh, the Red Rum one was right up there for me too, as was Murray winning Wimbledon, which someone has already mentioned above.
Anyway, I don't know about the most moving, but certainly the most iconic for me was the Rumble in the Jungle. I was only 10, but I loved Ali, as did the old man. I remember him setting his alarm so we could get up and listen to the 06:00am news on the radio to find out the result, and then watching it on Sportsnight later in the evening. Harry Carpenter wetting his pants at the end.... "Oh my God, you just can't believe it, he's won the title back at 32!" Something like that anyway. Still gives me goosebumps watching that fight. Ali was sensational. Lay on the ropes and picked Foreman off again and again as he lumbered in, and won every round in the process.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.