Your neighbour is going to add two storeys to his house

I wasn't sure if this was for the politics forum (as it's this government doing it) but from next month you can add extra storeys to a house without planning permission. Can you imagine the new terrace housing in east Manchester (Beswick or New Islington) with just a few with extra storeys on top? Or your semi with your neighbour breaking through your roof to build upwards?

It wasn't even clear from the consultation whether they intended this just for blocks of flats or individual houses.

https://www.firstplan.co.uk/news/new-pd-rights-for-homeowners-to-build-upwards/

What about the 'Ancient Lights' rule?

What about the 'Ancient Lights' rule?
Likely to be less effect on light than side extensions (45 degree from centre of window of a habitable room to the nearest bit of new building).

Problem will be losing garden privacy to your neighbour's 4th floor juliet balcony (and if your garden is on the north, losing a lot of daytime sun as the sun will be behind this new tower next door).

Every time you buy a property, you should find out the legal situation regarding any future build that would impede your view, light etc. Your local council planning dept would be able to let you know if anybody wanted to, for example, build two additional levels, if that would be allowed. If this person is going ahead, he must have permission and that permission would be noted within the planning terms for your area. If he hasnt, he could be forced to dismantle it, but I doubt he would go ahead if he didn't have permission. Did you get a notice asking if you had any objections? In my minds eye I see you trying to bolt a door as the horse heads over the hill at high speed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.