Your Thoughts On the Academy

yankcitizen76

I don't get to see any EDS or Academy matches, but I try to keep up to date on the latest news and scores.
Now that the regular season is ending, how do you that do see matches feel about the youth teams' results
and progress? Does the club have a better system than last year? Is MCFC any closer to producing some first teamers?
What about coaching and scouting? Sorry, for all the questions! Just trying to get some information.

I've seen a fair bit of the EDS. They are either world beaters, or batter teams and get stung by the sucker punch (bit like the First Team!). There are some good players but I can't see any of them currently knocking on the door. Even Lopes is not the guaranteed starter in a year or two. We're currently 6th in the league but with two games in hand. Win those and we jump to third which puts us in the play offs. Not seen much of the U18s but what I've heard is rather encouraging. I think it will be all down to waiting for a few seasons until the whole 'holistic' project has ground forward and delivered our own little Lionel and FakeRon.

I think it's fantastic on the whole.

I believe we are now starting to properly teach kids how to play football the right way, after decades of teaching them not very much at all & producing players with little or no football intelligence.

I recon we will soon produce players for the first team. Some will be short term stand ins, some will be longer term squad players, & one or two will be stars. We will, imo, sell on quite a few & probably, inevitably, make the odd bad decision which will come back to haunt us.

My only concern, mentioned elsewhere, is that there is a lax defensive approach which pervades all levels of football. I would like to see more organisation there & more intelligence when we lose the ball.

I've watched us at a few levels and we're an Academy that in 5 years would have produced numerous good players. Requires patience unfortunately.

Damocles said:
I've watched us at a few levels and we're an Academy that in 5 years would have produced numerous good players. Requires patience unfortunately.
Have to agree with that
watching the EDS has been illuminating, it seems that the younger players coming through who get a game with them are better than the older ones
as you go down the age groups the players seem to show more promise

unless, of course, we are turning potential super stars into average players

Just to reiterate on the Patience aspect of Academies...

We the fans have to develop more patience. I feel if we can be patient with the younger players, allow them more first team opportunities, probably meaning we will win less than if we had £30mil players in every position, we will see the progression and be rewarded with many trophies.

I'd much rather watch a player develop throughout the Academy and into the first team, then win us trophies, rather than just buying the latest superstar with a boot deal.

if this means not winning trophies for 5-10years whilst he develops then so be it.

Why Always Ste said:
Just to reiterate on the Patience aspect of Academies...

We the fans have to develop more patience. I feel if we can be patient with the younger players, allow them more first team opportunities, probably meaning we will win less than if we had £30mil players in every position, we will see the progression and be rewarded with many trophies.

I'd much rather watch a player develop throughout the Academy and into the first team, then win us trophies, rather than just buying the latest superstar with a boot deal.

if this means not winning trophies for 5-10years whilst he develops then so be it.
Kinda agree with you, but 5-10 years without a trophy sounds abit extreme :p

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.