Your worst ever city moment?

Didsbury Dave said:
mancunial said:
Losing to Sunderland in the cup losing to Tottenham replay losing to Luton every time we lose to them red cnuts especially the Atkinson derby, hate that guy for the rest of my life for that.
I'm trying my hardest and I cannot remember losing to Sunderland in the cup! Was this before my time? I'm 43.

May of meant Southampton 1999/2000 season.....league cup?

Didsbury Dave said:
I did a blog for Ric on this exact subject a couple of years ago. Not the worst games or results but the moments:

LEST WE FORGET

As Remembrance week is over, I feel it is time for me to don a sky blue poppy and take a journey down memory lane. In times of plenty it is our inglorious past which keeps us grounded, and Manchester City have traditionally managed to spit in the face of victory and fall mortally wounded in the heat of battle. So, lest we forget, I decided to compile a macabre top ten .It is not about the results, although most were bad, but about the ten moments when football, and Manchester City, made me feel like a bullet was lodged in my gut.

10) He who laughs last ……………………………….. City 2 - United 3 1994

My friend and I took Jay, a United supporting mate to this game, and drank pre-match in the Beehive, where the yellowing walls reverberated to “Galatasary, Galatasary, two nil up and you f**ked it up, Galatasary” after their 3-2 midweek European Cup defeat. Turkish Delight bars were waved in the air on The Kippax, because back then the derby was the be all and end all, and United throwing away a two goal lead in such a big match had caused much hilarity. I’m afraid the script wrote itself that day. Back at the car after the game, there was nearly an accident as Jay made his first utterance since full time – just a simple tune, whistled gently.

9) The Death of the Dream ……..……………… City 0 - Spurs 1 2010

If there is a club out there who have had more all-or-nothing games than Manchester City in recent years then they must have a set of grey-haired supporters. This one was your common-or-garden City crunch match – a win guaranteed that either side would make the quantum leap into the Champions League for the very first time. The eyes of the football world were on Eastlands and the tension was palpable. City pressured at times but Spurs played a simple long ball game and a good old-fashioned trademark City wobbly back four ensured Crouch bagged a late winner, prompting wild celebrations on the pitch. That goal really hurt me as I’d sat in Old Trafford a few months earlier, having plummeted out of the cup, and consoled myself that the top four was more important than a trophy. And City had blown both.

8) Robbie Howler………………….…………. City 1 – Middlesbrough 1 2005

Quite incredibly, given his management experience and abilities, Stuart Pearce guided City to within one victory of UEFA Cup qualification. City being City, of course, the last game of the season was against the rival for this spot, Middlesbrough. With a couple of minutes left the scores were level and Boro had one grubby hand on the golden ticket. And then, with the temperature in the stadium at fever pitch, the referee gave City a penalty, which, if converted, would take the club into Europe for the first time in twenty years. Step forward Robbie Fowler who proved he had taken the true spirit of Manchester City to heart with an effort which Moonchester could have saved. A classic City moment, like being fired from hell to heaven in a cannon and missing the runway.

7) Russian Roulette………………………………….. City 2-Liverpool 2 1996

Relegation hurts. I know - I’ve suffered five of them. But relegation on the last day of the season hurts much more. The armchair neutrals love a good last day drama, where the fluctuating score lines plunge clubs in turn down into the dead zone, but when you’re there, and your club is the one with the gun to its head, it’s akin to playing a game of Russian Roulette. Having gone two nil down to a disinterested Liverpool side, City clawed the game back to 2-2, and piled on pressure for a skin-saving winner. Rumours and counter rumours raced around the ground like sandstorms. Late in the game even the players believed that a draw was enough. Then the whistle. A tense wait as other scores filtered through, the barrel stopped turning and then BANG. Lights out.

6) Tunnel of Hate……………………………….. United 2 City 1 – FA Cup 1996

Derby defeats always hurt, but this was a bad one. Sitting in the Stretford End, I knew our season hung on this game. The only sunshine in that miserable stormy season was a cup run. City played superbly, going ahead and bossing the game, but then the referee gave the world’s most ridiculous penalty and City plummeted out of the cup. After the game I had to walk through that tunnel behind Old Trafford, with a drive to London beckoning, knowing that all that lay ahead was a miserable relegation battle with Alan Ball at the helm. The glory hunters only took a break from gleefully singing “Eighteen years and won f*** all” to cheer when they drew the awful Swindon Town at home in the Quarter Final. It was a boot in the groin of a man already down.

5) G-Owen Mad…………………………………. United 4 – City 3 - 2009

Coming from behind to draw a game often feels like a victory, and throwing two points away often feels like a defeat. This game was all of the former and lashings of the latter. Bellamy had scored a late equaliser and the referee added an incredible amount of injury time on. There was an inevitability about Owen’s winner, which really hurt. This was the only one of the ten games I’ve listed that I wasn’t at, but I made up for it by kicking my settee so hard I was in agony for days. But not as much agony as that goal inflicted.

4) A Hush Descends………………………………. City 0 - Luton 1 1983

The first cut is the deepest. This was my first relegation as a City fan and in some ways the most traumatic. As a 13-year-old City-daft boy I never, in my wildest dreams believed City would ever be relegated. Even after Raddy Antic’s famous winner, I knew a life-saving equaliser was on its way. But it never came. This final whistle blew and I still remember a devastated hush descending over Maine Road. Pleat danced, the Luton players scarpered, and then a mournful song started in the Kippax that spread to all four sides of the ground. “Man City, Man City, we’ll support you ever more”. I actually sobbed as the song left my disbelieving lips. But I kept my word.

3) Don’t Cry for me Argentina ……………. City 2 Spurs 3 - Wembley 1981

Sometimes your name is on the trophy. One of football’s many meaningless clichés. But 11 year olds haven’t developed a healthy sense of cynicism, so Ricky Villa broke my heart and booted me unceremoniously up the road to adulthood. I remember tearfully dumping my lovingly made banner in a Wembley bin and realising that the world was indeed a foul and pestilent place.

2) Journey to the Heart of Darkness………………………… Stoke 2 – City 5 1998

Being one of the many City fans in the Stoke stands that day, the Mexican wave of violence that swept around the ground at kick-off set the tone for the day. There was no specific moment of realisation that City were in Division 2 during the game – the truth seemed to dawn like a black day. But driving back to Manchester, in total and utter silence, was like a journey in a hearse. It is the only time a football game has made me feel physically sick. The realisation of what this relegation meant was dizzying.

1) The Night is Darkest before the Dawn …………. City 2 – Gillingham 2 1999

The paradox of this game is that it also contains a moment that will probably be number one in a forthcoming blog about the best ten moments in City’s recent history. But the night is truly darkest before the dawn and the moment Robert Taylor put Gillingham 2-0 remains the only moment in my life where I questioned my profound love for Manchester City. I had been by their side as they plunged through the divisions, I had prayed for recovery, but my love had never wavered. This was the moment I abandoned all hope. I remember vividly thinking “I can’t put myself through this any more”. Luckily, I didn’t have to. It never, ever got as bad as that moment when the roar from the other end of Wembley ripped out my heart.

So there you have it, a dark journey into the recesses of City’s recent past. As I compiled it, I felt a little of what an alcoholic must feel when made to publicly relive their lowest points in an AA meeting. But, like the reformed alcoholic, it felt curiously cathartic, even uplifting, because when the Premier League Trophy is finally lifted before my eyes, these are the memories which will flash through my mind, like a dying soldier’s life. As Silva lays waste to all enemies and City march onwards, no prisoners taken, it is important to remember that it is the bitterness of defeat that makes victory taste sweet. And I believe no club’s supporters can savour and appreciate that taste like City’s. So bring on Man United in a Do or Die title decider in April next year, because the new City doesn’t die heroically under a hail of bullets, or fall over a trip wire, like the old one did. Those days are resigned to the past.

Aren’t they? Gulp.

Well written Sir.

Oil everywhere! said:
Watching Nicky Weaver thinking he was Romario in the last minute against Stockport county and giving away a penalty on a freezing December night sat in the Gene Kelly stand .
Losing a penalty shootout to Mansfield in a league cup round at Maine road, after watch a shite game of football in the first place.
Plus the usual, Gillingham at Wembley .
When was that one? I know we lost 3-5 at home to Mansfield in the League Cup in the 60s and we beat them 4-2 on our way to winning it in 1975-6, but I can't remember a shoot-out defeat to them. The only home shoot-out defeat I can remember was against Blackpool after two awful performances.
We also lost to them in the Auto-Windscreen Wombat Nonsense Cup in 98-99 in front of 3,007 and still believe the City fans who actually turned up that night should get free pies and burgers at every match.

No I meant the 2 all at Maine road we were all set to win it that year, but sunderlands name was on it along with Denis tueart big Dave Watson and horsewill, just had a real bad feeling about the replay ? Especially has we had done Liverpool over at Maine road we all thought who can touch us how wrong we were?

Am I right in saying,we were the first team to score over 100 goals and concede 100 in the same season(57/58).....that must of been some season to watch. Anyone?

david pleat running on the pitch after we got relagated and some bleeder pissing on my leg at the top of the kippax

Mines the same as the OP minus the kicking. That bank holiday weekend against Stoke still fills me with dread.

2010 Calling Cup semi final defeat against Man Utd when Rooney scored a header in the last minute. That was so cruel.

mancunial said:
No I meant the 2 all at Maine road we were all set to win it that year, but sunderlands name was on it along with Denis tueart big Dave Watson and horsewill, just had a real bad feeling about the replay ? Especially has we had done Liverpool over at Maine road we all thought who can touch us how wrong we were?

Thanks Mancunial your post brings back mixed memories. I was at both the Liverpool and the Sunderland game with my Dad. Before the Liverpool game Keegan and Toshack were stood outside the players entrance with their wives or girlfriends. My Dad went up to Keegan and as he shook his hand said " I hope you have a really crap game". Keegan was all smiles and said " Don't worry I will " then as we walked away it slowly dawned on him what my Dad had said!! We nearly wet ourselves laughing !! If I remember rightly Big Mal came onto the pitch with his fedora and wound the crowd up. Night match under the floodlights and an unbelievable atmosphere. Keegan kept his promise and we won. City were back!!

We were in the Kippax for the Sunderland game and ManUres game had been called off so their fans were climbing over the wall to get in to support Sunderland. Talk about packed in like sardines. The whole crowd had to turn at the same time so we could watch the end to end play. I was gutted when we drew.

My worst moment (of many), stood in the biting wind and rain outside the Etihad watching the Cup Final on the big screen (couldn't get a ticket for Wembley but wanted to savour the moment anyway). Once Wigan scored it just felt as if the old City had never really been away and that THAT AFTERNOON against QPR was the best it was ever going to be in my lifetime.

And then the new season came around and the optimism started to come back............ and just maybe..........
CTID

a few recent ones that stick out to me...

2-1 down to qpr was the worst football moment of my life, i honestly didn't know what i was going to do, i was planning my next week of solitary confinement sat in my seat with my head in my hands when dzeko scored. there were 45,000 city fans in the stadium in utter despair at 2-1, you could just feel it in the atmosphere.

wigan in the fa cup...i just felt horrendous after that. i know it's not as bad as relegation and the result is the same as losing in any round but i couldn't believe it we'd thrown the cup away like that. the texts flooded in from the rags, it was just horrible, plus we had to walk for an hour back to the car in the piss down rain.

blackburn fa cup 2007... that moment i thought to myself "i'll never see city win anything in my life", the game itself wasn't that significant compared to others mentioned but it was more of a realisation that we'll never be great again.

watching city in the lower divisions growing up was what i considered normal to be honest so i didn't know anything different.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.