You're the Judge...

The female officer didn’t calm the situation, she could have waited for back up without escalating this. Drawing the weapon just escalated it massively because 1: the alleged offender felt threatened 2: the offenders mother was worried that the weapon drawing could escalate her sons behaviour into making the officer use the gun so thrived to protect him from being shot and 3: the officer by drawing the gun put herself in danger, and she began hyperventilating because she knew she was in danger.

If the officer didn’t have the gun the mother wouldn’t have been shot and the support officers could have made an easy arrest. The suspect appeared to be drunk.

Female cop useless and clueless. Should have waited for backup before attempting to arrest him. Probably would have come quietly if she had any communication skills. Total clusterfuck.

So, I listened to what was happening between them and I have my conclusions.

I think the man has learning difficulties, maybe overmedicated, maybe substance, maybe he's himself. I think the mother is nervous because she doesn't know what his reaction is going to be with probably puts the officer ill at ease.

I think she tries to take control of someone she's dealt with before as she's arrested him at another point. I think this has made her overfamiliar hence her big bad police officer routine (it probably kowed him at their last encounter). At no point did she get onside with him to de-escalate this issue so tension raised all around.

And, yes, I agree with the other assessment of her not using the choices available to her.

I'm amazed that she didn't use the background knowledge of the arrestee as he's, clearly, been through some early years trauma before as he kept mentioning "sexual abuse" and didn't want to be touched (also an autistic trait in some).

What's odd is his lucid conversation about 'abuse of power', which threw me quite a bit, but then she lost her shit!

Not sure if the man would have lived if he were another colour, mind, but I found it quite interesting all the same.

The officer needs retraining big time!!

So, I listened to what was happening between them and I have my conclusions.

I think the man has learning difficulties, maybe overmedicated, maybe substance, maybe he's himself. I think the mother is nervous because she doesn't know what his reaction is going to be with probably puts the officer ill at ease.

I think she tries to take control of someone she's dealt with before as she's arrested him at another point. I think this has made her overfamiliar hence her big bad police officer routine (it probably kowed him at their last encounter). At no point did she get onside with him to de-escalate this issue so tension raised all around.

And, yes, I agree with the other assessment of her not using the choices available to her.

I'm amazed that she didn't use the background knowledge of the arrestee as he's, clearly, been through some early years trauma before as he kept mentioning "sexual abuse" and didn't want to be touched (also an autistic trait in some).

What's odd is his lucid conversation about 'abuse of power', which threw me quite a bit, but then she lost her shit!

Not sure if the man would have lived if he were another colour, mind, but I found it quite interesting all the same.

The officer needs retraining big time!!
Sacking more like! As well as the bloke who couldn’t handcuff a near dead body on his own without her help! Pair of fuckwits.

Maybe it's just me but the first thing I thought was "Don't walk over the lawn, use the path, it is only polite".
Mostly though, I felt a profound sadness for Sean (Shaun?), I think on first viewing I would be more likely to attribute his behaviour to mental health issues rather than any substance abuse but who knows?
A very difficult situation for the responding officer who was essentially facing a man resisting arrest. Given that the backup was seconds away it seemed that she should have waited. The only thing I know with absolute certainty is that I would not be a police officer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.