You're the manager. What would you change in the team?

skybluekings

We all make statements about Hughes' team selection and tactics but not really any solutions.
The Chinese have a saying that "It makes no sense to worry about the problem. The problem is already there and nothing can change that. The focus should be on the solution because only that would fix the problem"

In my opinion the back 4 plus goalkeeper are all in top form.
Both Zab and Bridge have been getting up field and have made plays which resulted in goals.
Talk of replacing Zab with that guy from Osasuna seem a non starter because Zab has been doing a great job thus far and same for Bridge. Sylvinho is still a top player and can fill a back up role easily on the left.

The problem is the midfield.

1. Both Barry and De Jong play defensively and because of this it stifles any creativity in the team.
For the team to succeed we need 1 DM and 1 Creative midfielder in the middle.
Rotate either Barry or De Jong and play Ireland as the creative midfielder.

2. SWP has been giving away the ball too easily of late. He is the 1 player on the team who suffers from a lack of competition for his spot. His back up is Weiss (who is not ready) and the occasional Bellamy or Ireland to "fill in" but they are not out and out right wingers.

Left midfield to attack is tops. Its that center of the pitch and right side that is the problem for us and as long as its both Barry and De Jong in the middle, I can only see us struggling to break teams down.

My fix for the team is 1 DM and 1 creative midfielder but not Barry and De Jong together.

...............Given.....................

Zabs....Toure.....Lescott....Bridge

...............De Jong.................

.....Ireland............Barry..........

Tevez/SWP....Ade.....Robi/Bellamy

If we set up like this at home and away it gives us the versatility of Tevez/SWP/Robi/Bellamy interchanging positions thus being harder to pick up and mark effectively. It also gives us the chance to revert to the below formation when we lose the ball.

................Given....................

Zabs.....Toure.....Lescott....Bridge

.........De Jong.......Barry..........

Tevez/SWP...............Robi/Bellamy

.................Ireland..................

..................Ade.....................

This would also solve the Ireland predicament of him not playing in his usual position. You have a hard working midfield 4 which will help Ireland bomb forward in support of Ade on the break. There are pro's and con's to every formation but i think if we set up like this home and away we would get more wins away from home and we would maintain consistency imo

we need a world class right back, attacking right back

and we need an attacking center mid who is half as good as gerrard or lampard that for me will make sure of champs league, right now playing two def mids isnt good and gfor me barry is being playing bad he was no where in the villa and united games and was awful again on sunday

The 4 tied games in a row Villa, Wigan, Fulham and Birmingham all have one thing in common.

Creativity.

Especially the last game me and my mates when watching said "where's the goal going to come from?"

A simple 4-4-2 will get the ball rolling. Adebayor and Santa Cruz/Tevez upfront with a settled midfield and we'll win games rather than draw them.

I hate the negative formations Hughes sets out, they remind me of Liverpool.

At home against the likes of Burnley who we expect to beat:

-----------------Given---------------
Zabaleta---Toure------Lescott--Bridge
----------------De Jong--------------
Bellers----------Ireland----------Petrov
----------Adebayor---Robinho---------

Tough away games:

-----------------Given----------------
Zabaleta---Toure------Lescott--Bridge
------------De Jong--Barry------------
SWP-------------Ireland---------Bellers
----------------Adebayor--------------

As you can see, I don't rate Tevez.

What I think this thread highlights more than anything is why none of us are the manager.

442 is not the holy grail of football management. It will not guarantee us wins.

And not rating Tevez? I don't know where to start.

I would pick the team to beat the opposition - sounds simple but i don't think we have done it enough this season. The top teams do this. NDJ (or Barry) should have made way for Ireland against Fulham at home, against Burnely I would even consider starting Johnson as well.

Ireland has to play but when he does under the system we have he's not nearly enough on the ball. so to rectify that...

I'd have a midfield 3 of barry doing the defensive duties a la England, a fully fit michael johnson as our frank lampard/stephen gerrard and ireland at the tip of the midfield as creator/ scorer. I'd have one up front in Adebayor, Swp on the right with cameos from weiss, and on form and fitness i'd have one of either, petrov, robinho, bellamy. I think the way tevez plays, dropping back, he would get in ireland's way. Of course in certain games where this wasn't working, then hughes can switch things around.

Given
Zab Toure Ned (when fit, otherwise lescott) bridge

Barry
swp Johnson Petrov

ireland

Ade

dingdingding said:
And not rating Tevez? I don't know where to start.

So you think he's better than Ireland, Robinho and Adebayor?

He doesn't suit our team and has done nothing to suggest he is a world class player. When he starts earning his place I'd pick him but at the moment he hasn't done enough for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.