Youth call-up

BlueDejong

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-chase-porto-pair-7122740#.U3Rl1PiKrI0.twitter

Via Stuart Brennan

The Blues do not normally look at players over the age of 30, but the signing of Martin Demichelis on a two-year deal, and this move, are evidence of a new strategy.

They hope in the next couple of years their beefed-up academy will start to produce their own stars.

By the end of next season, the plan is for youngsters like Jason Denayer, Shay Facey, Mathias Bossaerts and Ash Smith-Brown to be pushing for first-team places.

That process has already begun, with Marcos Lopes expected to be a regular in the first-team squad next season.

And for that reason, the Blues are not believed to be actively pursuing any attacking players – although if a quality addition became available, they would not hesitate to make a move.

So we're definitely not signing any attacking players but then again we might? Did I get that right Stuart?
And aren't Jason Denayer, Shay Facey, Mathias Bossaerts and Ash Smith-Brown all defenders or midfielders? So a strange selection of names.

ColinLee said:
So we're definitely not signing any attacking players but then again we might? Did I get that right Stuart?
And aren't Jason Denayer, Shay Facey, Mathias Bossaerts and Ash Smith-Brown all defenders or midfielders? So a strange selection of names.

Fully Agree. End of next season ? My choice is Denayer, Maffeo, Tasende, Fofana.

It's a pretty simple point he's making here.

• City aren't actively pursuing any attacking players because they believe Lopes will now challenge for a first team role.
  • If a really special attacking player pops up for cheap they'll take them as they have options on Lopes
  • City are hoping that the players listed in the article will be in the Lopes position next year

ColinLee said:

Think he is just listing some of the defenders as he is linking it with an older defender i.e Demichelis.

I think some of the U18s will fast track into the fringes of the first team squad at around about that time.

I think SB has got it just about right there. I more year, then the academy starts to kick in. They are not yet quite ready. Fofana might be, as he has the physique, as do Huws, Rekik etc & we could try them pre season then promote them IF they look very good & prove they are worth considering (not 'ooh he fell on his arse five times & got skinned alive & missed an open net & gave away a pen but he's only a kid.) PROVE they can live with the first team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.