Zabaleta changing roles?

schfc6

After watching nearly all our pre season warm up games I think I can see what Mancini is doing.
Last year we struggled when Kompany was out, and would do so again this season as I don't see us buying a player of the level required to cover what Kompany brings.
Three at the back without Kompany would be good enough to shut out many teams and is a system that protects any weak link. The logic being 3 decent defenders being equal to 2 class defenders.

He seems to have been using this formation to introduce Zabaleta as a centre back. I never saw this as an option. As I see it in a 442 or 4231 as we switch between in the Premier League and Mancini is grooming Zaba as a centre half. He has looked very solid and with the exception of his size Zaba has all the attributes to become a very accomplished centre back.

Leaving us with Kompany & Kolo as right sided centre halves and Zaba and Lescott as left sided centre backs. If Zabaleta is converted to a defender that can literally play anywhere across the back line do we need this cover or back up that is suggested we need?

Would Zabaleta's height be an issue in the Premier League? Outside of Crouch, Jimmy Nail and Grant Holt forwards are usually small and skilful.

Basically could Zabaleta be the man for all occasions and cover us in all 3 defensive positions?

I think he could.

schfc6 said:
After watching nearly all our pre season warm up games I think I can see what Mancini is doing.
Last year we struggled when Kompany was out, and would do so again this season as I don't see us buying a player of the level required to cover what Kompany brings.
Three at the back without Kompany would be good enough to shut out many teams and is a system that protects any weak link. The logic being 3 decent defenders being equal to 2 class defenders.

He seems to have been using this formation to introduce Zabaleta as a centre back. I never saw this as an option. As I see it in a 442 or 4231 as we switch between in the Premier League and Mancini is grooming Zaba as a centre half. He has looked very solid and with the exception of his size Zaba has all the attributes to become a very accomplished centre back.

Leaving us with Kompany & Kolo as right sided centre halves and Zaba and Lescott as left sided centre backs. If Zabaleta is converted to a defender that can literally play anywhere across the back line do we need this cover or back up that is suggested we need?

Would Zabaleta's height be an issue in the Premier League? Outside of Crouch, Jimmy Nail and Grant Holt forwards are usually small and skilful.

Basically could Zabaleta be the man for all occasions and cover us in all 3 defensive positions?

I think he could.

From what ive seen during Pre Season and the end of last season i would say Mancini is looking at turning Zaba into a winger and Boyata is decent enough cover imo

kippaxchris said:
schfc6 said:

I think he could.

From what ive seen during Pre Season and the end of last season i would say Mancini is looking at turning Zaba into a winger and Boyata is decent enough cover imo

Zabaleta has been playing left of three centre halves in pre season.

Sweet Jesus, there's some rubbish talked about zabaleta on this forum. A winger? He's no more a winger than Tevez is a centre half.

He's a utility man, and that's all. Not first choice in any position but effective in several.

schfc6 said:
kippaxchris said:
schfc6 said:

I think he could.

Zabaleta has been playing left of three centre halves in pre season.
Played wing back vs Arsenal, I think the only reason he played cb against Wolfsburg and Malaysia was due to personal as kompany went home.

Didsbury Dave said:
Sweet Jesus, there's some rubbish talked about zabaleta on this forum. A winger? He's no more a winger than Tevez is a centre half.

He's a utility man, and that's all. Not first choice in any position but effective in several.

Must admit I chuckled at the winger comment....

Didsbury Dave said:

He was first choice right back at the end of the season though, wasn't he?

Whatever Mancini wants to do with him doesnt change the fact that hes always in the opposition 18 yard box either shooting or crossing

Didsbury Dave said:

Which is what makes him so valuable to the manager. He's good enough right across the back (dunno about CH but interesting thought) and the midfield. Thats cover for 6 positions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.