Zack Steffen

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy costs £7m, no way this is profit signing. The likes of Mooy and others were signed for pennies like £300k or something like that + this one is goalkeeper yet costs so much.

Also we can easily use foreign spot on two GKs unless we get academy trained keeper somewhere.

Very likely our number 2.

This guy costs £7m, no way this is profit signing. The likes of Mooy and others were signed for pennies like £300k or something like that + this one is goalkeeper yet costs so much.

Also we can easily use foreign spot on two GKs unless we get academy trained keeper somewhere.

Very likely our number 2.
Moreno cost £5m
Rulli for £4m
Roberts for about £8m
Luiz for £10m

Those are "pennies" in the market now.

No team seriously competing for the league & CL every season would have a kid with 3 professional games as a #2 option. I love Muric but no one could honestly say they'd be comfortable with him playing in goal for months on end.

Steffen has 100 games under his belt, he's got enough experience to fill in for Ederson for 3-6 months if he had to. I expect he'll come in, play the domestic cups, learn from Pep, pick up some silverware and then move on to be a #1 in 2 or 3 years time which will bag us a nice profit.

Then we'll do the same with someone new.

I edited a video containing just about every moment of Steffen against France in a pre-World Cup friendly in Lyon. Worth a view as it should give a bit of insight into his shot-stopping ability, foot skills, long balls, positioning, etc., both good and bad.

Also, Steffen is not yet the secure USA #1. Ethan Horvath is the same age but had as good or better of a performance in a friendly last month against Italy compared to Steffen's against France, and also recently posted a trio of clean sheets against Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, and Monaco in the Champions League group stage. So it is unclear whether Steffen will receive the lion's share of caps moving forward. Though certainly working in Steffen's favor is the new USA manager will be his old Columbus Crew manager.

No team seriously competing for the league & CL every season would have a kid with 3 professional games as a #2 option. I love Muric but no one could honestly say they'd be comfortable with him playing in goal for months on end.

Steffen has 100 games under his belt, he's got enough experience to fill in for Ederson for 3-6 months if he had to. I expect he'll come in, play the domestic cups, learn from Pep, pick up some silverware and then move on to be a #1 in 2 or 3 years time which will bag us a nice profit.

Then we'll do the same with someone new.

That would make sense but I don’t think he has a work permit so I’m not sure about being our number 2 straight away.

Steffen won't be able to get a work permit yet as he doesn't have a single competitive US cap, only some friendlies. He would be able to get a WP if he starts just about all of the Gold Cup matches in summer 2019, and probably needing some additional CONCACAF Nations League matches or World Cup qualifying matches later in 2019. It may take longer than expected, as Ethan Horvath is at least even with Steffen on merit and frankly should probably be ahead (yesterday was named to Goal.com's Best XI of the UCL group stage).

Interesting move on his part, national team number 1's don't generally go to teams as a number 2. Personally think our second keeper isn't somebody we need to be using a precious free "foreign" squad place on but the decision makers do so I put my trust in them
Lower nations such as the US keepers do. Good back up and even a league cup game v Grimsby will be a step up for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.