Zero points for a 0-0

TheMightyQuinn said:
How about if goals are rated and worth differing amounts of points?

A volley? 3 points.
A volley on the weaker foot? 6 points
Header - 2 points if over 6'2" and 3 if under.

Or each team nominates a player to appear on Strictly Come Dancing, the winning players team gets the 3 points and depending on what the little gay fella says, the losers get 1 or 0 points?

Obviously my ultimate football fantasy is that on a Saturday morning Vernon Kaye wakes up and texts a random number from his phone, the lucky recipient of the text message then gets to choose the winners and losers from that days football fixtures list whilst Snow Patrol play some mellow shit rock as backing music.

PSML

the risk of collusion between teams would be impossible to rule out,nod nod wink one all in first minute then business as usual.A bigger minimum pitch size,and clubs prevented from producing a mud-bath surface which stifles skill would help,but a game-clock would help even more,no more subs in the last seconds just to waste time.no offside could be trialled.Scrap FIFA and the FA,ones corrupt,ones clueless and corrupt.

Robbo. said:
The game is about scoring goals, so why should you get something when either side score fuck all?

Your thoughts?

Fundamentally very wrong. The game is also about stopping the other side scoring goals, and hopefully scoring 1 more than them, to vaguely paraphrase Shankly. This simplistic infant schoolboy idea that everyone should go out to score 5 or 6 just wont wash.

For a much lesser team playing away at a top side, 0-0 is an excellent result, a creditable achievement. We used to strive for such results, but now we've become all high and mighty it's not good enough and the rules need to be changed.

I despair of the number of people who dont seem to understand football and have some bizarre Utopian vision because they watched Barcelona win once (not always).

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK. Banzaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.....

King Geedorah said:
There is no solution because there isn't a problem. If you want high scoring games watch basketball.

Good post, agree with this.

We are not an American sport, let's try not to become one.

If you don't appreciate a 0-0 just as much as a 1-1, then I'd question your passion for the actual game of football.

Damocles said:
King Geedorah said:
There is no solution because there isn't a problem. If you want high scoring games watch basketball.

If you don't appreciate a 0-0 just as much as a 1-1, then I'd question your passion for the actual game of football.

So if entertainment is unimportant, why has the backpass rule changed & why do we now have 3 points for a win? Would it be better to scrap these & go back to how it used to be? Were those changes not also opposed for the same reasons?
The point isn't about not appreciating a 0-0 the same as a 1-1 it's about an incentive for teams to win games rather than try not to lose. There would be no good reason for a team just turning up & parking the bus, as there would be no benefit. Hence both teams would be trying to win, hence more games worth remembering.

Rule number 102.3c.p4 states tha
'in the event of a no scoring draw the following will apply
The captains will be given the opportunity to settle the game in the following ways:
1. FIGHT!
2. Nearest bull
3. Ace high etc
4. Paper rock scissors
5. Longest todger
6. Xbox footy game.
7. Toss coin or see 5 above!
8. Pub drinking contest.
9. Spit the furthest
10. Longest drive (golf)

This is my 100th post so thought I would do something special
......and failed

I am new to footy. It has a unique character even if it's not as frequently scoring as basketball or American football.

0-0 will never capture the American market, but it has a character all its own. I wouldn't change it.

Although a modification to your offside rule would really help. Even after watching it for nearly a year, I still find the offside trap borderline anti-competitive. Watching a skilled player break it is a thing of beauty; watching a goal disallowed because the player was actually onside or mere inches offside is maddening. It makes results sometimes as arbitrary and seemingly crooked as boxing; it's something the sport should address to give the referees less power over the outcome.

Magnifying the absurdity of the offside rule is watching Rory Delap rifle throw-ins with immunity to the offside rule, with his hands in a game called football.

TheMightyQuinn said:

A volley? 3 points.

Or each team nominates a player to appear on Strictly Come Dancing, the winning players team gets the 3 points and depending on what the little gay fella says, the losers get 1 or 0 points?

Obviously my ultimate football fantasy is that on a Saturday morning Vernon Kaye wakes up and texts a random number from his phone, the lucky recipient of the text message then gets to choose the winners and losers from that days football fixtures list whilst Snow Patrol play some mellow shit rock as backing music.
This is amongst the very best posts I've seen on Bluemoon.

Not for me.

It's nice to see small clubs gaining points against the larger better teams, 90 mins of real determination and teamwork - would be a real kick in the balls if a team didnt get rewarded for that.

I can see your logic about bigger teams doing it but its just a case of teams canceling each other out.

These two goalless draws we have had could mean all the difference come the end of the season.

TheMightyQuinn said:
I think every team should bid for Hulk Hogan on a weekly basis. The winner gets the Hulkster at centre forward for the next game whilst the 2 runners up get to choose from Jake 'The Snake' Roberts and The Ultimate Warrior to play up front.

This suggestion is obviously moronic and offensive....yet it's the most sensible one on this thread.

Football is football is football, let's not get bent and American and try to tart it up and sell it back to ourselves like bellends.

You of all people amaze me, Why is the op not sensible? You are making it out that its changing the game, Its not we are making it more offensive for attacking football.

THIS is not new, is it? FIFA have changed the rule before on points because of the game being too negative remember 1 point for a draw and 2 points for a win?. You still follow the game don’t you and it has made the game more rewarding with them changes.

Why do people always refer to the Americans, its just childish. *NOTE* the game has not been changed in any way, I am not asking for goals to be bigger nor less players on the pitch, or two ball being played, the game stays the same, all it will do is make MANAGERs think more about tactics.

Why will it ruin the game?

-- Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:14 pm --

Neville Kneville said:
I think we should scrap the backpass rule. Unlimited passing back to the goalkeeper & time wasting was an integral part of the game. It's plainly wrong to use any kind of imagination in football & should rightly be ridiculed at every opportunity.

I also think we should consider changing the offside rule back to it's original form, scrap the red & yellow card system, only allow one substitute or in fact scrap them completely & it should be compulsory for the crowd to wear flat caps.

thank you my point exactly, at least we have some fan's on here who can brake from the mould.

Most people on hear are too thick in the head to realise that the game has been changed so many times, and still needs tweaks hear and there.

-- Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:15 pm --

TheMightyQuinn said:

A volley? 3 points.

you clearly are a dumb ****

-- Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:22 pm --

john@staustell said:
Robbo. said:
The game is about scoring goals, so why should you get something when either side score fuck all?

Your thoughts?

Fundamentally very wrong. The game is also about stopping the other side scoring goals, and hopefully scoring 1 more than them, to vaguely paraphrase Shankly. This simplistic infant schoolboy idea that everyone should go out to score 5 or 6 just wont wash.

For a much lesser team playing away at a top side, 0-0 is an excellent result, a creditable achievement. We used to strive for such results, but now we've become all high and mighty it's not good enough and the rules need to be changed.

I despair of the number of people who dont seem to understand football and have some bizarre Utopian vision because they watched Barcelona win once (not always).

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK. Banzaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.....

It happens in all other games in football other than the league. To progress in the cup you have to score to get through to the next round, if you don’t score you can not go through, yes?.

and what happens if Man Utd are playing City for the title and city need a win and utd need a draw as they need a point, all utd will do is put 11 men behind the ball and defend while city try and break them down, it will be a dull game. Its not a stupid idea, the game needs to be more entertaining.<br /><br />-- Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:31 pm --<br /><br />
Damocles said:
King Geedorah said:

this is a joke, because i have made a comment about changing the points system then you are questioning MY passion for the sport, Damocles come on you know how stupid that sounds? a 0-0 is a dull game at best of times yes I agree sometimes it can be a great game, I remember a 0-0 Liverpool Vs Arsenal in the 80's that was end to end fantastic game. Let me change the scenario so why shouldn’t a team get a point for not loosing to a top club 1-0 when they played so well but conceded in the last min, because you should start off with 0pts until you have earned it.

Was Lines Man NOW Assistant Referee, The back pass rule introduced, Substitutions, 7 subs on the bench, 1 point for a draw 2 points for a win, off side rule, The transfer Window, the fourth official..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.