Zonal defending = 3 leaked goals. It has to stop!

ManCityFC said:
Another piss poor goal conceded from a set piece. But nothing to worry about I guess?
It's getting more and more regular from set plays yes it is becoming an issue. They look at the video study indepth surely its becoming obvious the zonal system isn't working or that teams are wising up to it. Every corner Brum had last night they lined up on the edge of the box and came flying in, a player running has better leaping ability that one with a standing start

Goals will always be scored whether its a piss poor defensive error/zonal marking or from a 30 yard screamer, there is and never will be a sure fire way of ever not conceeding goals,the idea is to limit them and so far we are not doing too bad !!
Whos to say that every goal we concede for the rest of the season wont be a penalty ?? some are scored and some are saved..its the same with set pieces and in play goals..
I could understand if we were letting in 3-4 goals per game but we are not..

gotta agree with the OP. It looks like we are doing this a lot now and it's bobbins.
Last night's Brum goal saw every defender running towards goal to defend the free-kick. It don't fuckin work. Defenders should have their backs to goal and move towards the ball. Basic defending rule No2.

its the short corners we get caught on there to busy gettin in their position the opp knows this plus we should leave two players on halfway line we knock it out it comes straight back it keeps the pressure on us

I disagree. Both systems (zonal and man) work well if A) the defenders know what they have to do and B) the defenders do their job. The faults for recent leaked goals lie with a seeming lack of full preparation and poor execution by players.

I've said it before, but when a goal is conceded with zonal marking, the system gets blamed, but with man marking everyone blames the individual. Both work wen done correctly, and both look ridiculous when done poorly.

Bluemoon115 said:
I disagree. Both systems (zonal and man) work well if A) the defenders know what they have to do and B) the defenders do their job. The faults for recent leaked goals lie with a seeming lack of full preparation and poor execution by players.

I've said it before, but when a goal is conceded with zonal marking, the system gets blamed, but with man marking everyone blames the individual. Both work wen done correctly, and both look ridiculous when done poorly.

Spot on, the zonal marking system is the easier to use than man marking, no system can stop set pieces from going in if the ball is a beauty or the defender slacks off for one second.

Zonal marking is fine.

Bluemoon115 said:

we have had 14 games this season (Europa and premiership) where we have not conceded home and away..this is due to Zonal marking and it should be kept but worked on.. We have conceded in our last 6 games and we need to cut down on this.. If our zonal marking is good enough to keep a barrage of Arsenal attacks at bay at the emirates then sommat is right.. lack of concentration is the problem.

Sven seemed to be the first manager to work out how to pressure us at Leicester in the cup, since then we look under pressure at every set piece. Maybe time for a re-think on this tactic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.