Zonal Marking technical analysis- why Jo was crucial

City did seem more attack-minded in than in the recent 0-0 draws against Manchester United and Birmingham. The shape was the same as in recent weeks, but it had more of a positive slant to it.

If we'd have shown the same intent in the first half against the brummies then I'm confident they would have been dispensed with in similar fashion. The fans frustration that day was understandable.

Maybe Mancini will learn from this – he kept broadly the same system, but City were more attack-minded and more fluid, a striker was fielded in one of the wide positions which helped City move up the pitch, Barry drifted to the flank rather than remaining in the centre, whilst Toure played a very direct role. They ended up scoring four goals, which wasn’t an unfair reflection of their dominance.

Bravo. Hopefully the penny has well and truly dropped.

Balti said:
City did seem more attack-minded in than in the recent 0-0 draws against Manchester United and Birmingham. The shape was the same as in recent weeks, but it had more of a positive slant to it.

If we'd have shown the same intent in the first half against the brummies then I'm confident they would have been dispensed with in similar fashion. The fans frustration that day was understandable.

Maybe Mancini will learn from this – he kept broadly the same system, but City were more attack-minded and more fluid, a striker was fielded in one of the wide positions which helped City move up the pitch, Barry drifted to the flank rather than remaining in the centre, whilst Toure played a very direct role. They ended up scoring four goals, which wasn’t an unfair reflection of their dominance.

Bravo. Hopefully the penny has well and truly dropped.
Don't forget to ake into account he was playing against a Hughes/Bowen setup and, having inherited one of those would have known it's weaknesses all too well. Stoke will be a totally different challenge and I'll be mighty impressed if we look half as good as we did at Foolham.

The formation worked well on Sunday with City having a fully fit Kolarov on displaying helping immensely. When he attacks, Barry moves across to cover, same as when Cole moves forward for England this also enables Jo to move in the box as a second striker with Toure and Siva joining in the box also with Zabaletta moving up with DeJong covering for him.

Ragnarok said:
ST Coleridge said:
The ZM articles are always very good (especially since there's no other website doing the same sort of tactical analysis), and I'm always chuffed when they cover a City match.

Re: Jo - yes, he performed quite well on Sunday, and I like playing a forward (as opposed to a winger) in that position. Having said that, his first touch is still a bit shit. Balotelli will obviously be first choice for the role, and I wouldn't mind us getting a young understudy too.

Bwahahahahaha , Balotelli is younger than Jo ;)

I think you've misunderstood me - I don't think Jo is deserving of a place in the squad, I'd rather we started looking for another understudy for Balotelli.

iiinteresting. i wasn't able to stay up late to watch (i live in Thailand and i had to be up at 6 Monday) but looking at the lineup i'd just assumed Jo was in the middle. i like it, very clever.

i think Jo's been a bit unlucky. i doubt he was ever as good as his price tag would suggest but i also doubt he was ever as bad as Hughes seemed to think he was, but i suspect the issue wasn't talent but rather that Bresil insurrection.

Zonal Marking's probably my fav football site (and has helped me immensely with Football Manager :P)

It's amazing how much smarter Mancini became in the Fulham game. I'm so glad the penny dropped. I'm sure he's very grateful to zonal marking and football manager for helping him see the light, because he wouldn't have people preparing statistical and film analysis of each game and upcoming competition to allow him to select tactics. That Mancini probably just calls up some mate in Italy and asks him how to teach the players to pass backwards and then picks the players who compliment his pasta. But now, the penny might have dropped. Let's hope so.

AustinBlue said:
It's amazing how much smarter Mancini became in the Fulham game. I'm so glad the penny dropped. I'm sure he's very grateful to zonal marking and football manager for helping him see the light, because he wouldn't have people preparing statistical and film analysis of each game and upcoming competition to allow him to select tactics. That Mancini probably just calls up some mate in Italy and asks him how to teach the players to pass backwards and then picks the players who compliment his pasta. But now, the penny might have dropped. Let's hope so.

Yes, it's not like this is the same formation that we've been using all season.

Mancini understands football and tactics shocker.

Despite what you read on here, usually the foaming of some moron, there's more to football than 'kick it in the goal'.

It also helps that Fulham didnt put 10 men behind the ball like Brumingham.

I dont know how to throw a post I have made from one thread to another; but I made these sentiments on page 60 something of the "official Match thread". I now feel ready for the Bobby using Inters tactics thread the next time it's bumped. I have also made repeated calls for shots from outside the box -Zabs goal and Carlos' second. Somebody at the Club is obviously trolling me around on here.

Next; free kicks on the half way line to us; get the Ball up there and let all our big lads, Balo,Richards, Kompany, Adebayor,Yaya, Kolo whoever spread a bit of panic in the oppositions box. A deep free kick into the opponents Box does not mean we are Blackburn or Stoke.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.