Zonal marking. Your views?

KentBlue

I'm in two minds about it myself. On the dipper's first goal last night I noticed Stan Collymore made a reference to it and it got me thinking. I would imagine most clubs have a preference for man-marking at set pieces, but we're seeing more and more of the zonal system - which Sir Alf Ramsey used so effectively during the 60's.

There are always two views on these things and I was just interested what other people thought about it.

Well, it's surely better than yet another 'Mourinho to City' thread.

It's better than whatever we were doing under Hughes. If we had a massive team, with 6 foot+ all over the pitch, then maybe man marking would work, but we're quite a small side, so zonal is fine by me. It's working, so it's hard to argue with at the moment.

I must admit it seems to suit us! The only problem I notice is that it means you have to have your tall players at the front post and your sometimes exposed at the back. Another benefit is that the defenders can also run at the ball away from goal which in turn can put the attacker off if a defender comes steaming towards you.

It never did the great italian sides of the 70s/80's any harm ..... in fact it probably made them into the most formidable defensive units ever seen anywhere in world football.

However thay appear to have somehow lost the plot in recent years , and some of the defending by italian sides today would be tailor made for the jeremy Beadle show!

I like the concept but think that some players are a bit slow in the head and take longer to adjust to it than others. In the long run I think it should work well but in certain situations we need to be adaptable and use man marking when needed.

If you prefer man marking you obviously can't remember back any further than 6 months imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.