Zonal marking. Your views?

never did the great italian sides of the 70s/80's any harm ..... in fact it probably made them into the most formidable defensive units ever seen anywhere in world football.
However thay appear to have somehow lost the plot in recent years , and some of the defending by italian sides today would be tailor made for the jeremy Beadle show!

it is not correct
the italian sides of the 70s/80's used the man marking: the Genoa of Scoglio developed the sistem and the Juve of Maifredi at the mid '80 (orrific!)
Is the Milan of Sacchi and the Inter of Trappattoni who adopted it avec the gret resultats. But Inter and Milan have very great defenders : Zenga, Bergomi, Ferri, Brehme, Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta..

Italian defenders '60-'70: Burgnich Facchetti, Cabrini, Tardelli, eccc

The problem is simple: great players=great defenses

Actually in Italy have not great defensers

If the system is ingrained into the fabric of a club for example the way Barca play is played from youth team up & the system is natural then yes it can work..
BUT it is impossible to suddenly change the whole way a defence defends especially one that is still growing together.
Lescott is a prime example of this, he does not use it & of late he had taken charge of our defence & has been shouting instructions to players to mark players that are unmarked at corners & free-kicks.
It was interesting when we played liverpool who use this system that rafa had players moving towards the corner kicker for a short corner,we did it once & it was Ireland that made the move & it caused mayhem,what is the point of marking a zone if the player you were marking in it has moved towards a short corner,another player then makes a run has the advantage of speed & jump & hey presto you are fucked.

I don't like it. Everton, Hull and Stoke are just 3 teams off the top of my head that have dominated us from set pieces when we've done this. Plus bringing everyone back is a joke.

If that's what Mancini wants to do though, then I'll trust him I suppose, it has worked a bit for him with a combination of good defending, a bit of luck and playing other poor teams in the air so we'll see how it goes.

I prefer man marking though personally, as even if you don't win the header, you can always put the marker off + we can be a bigger threat from them attacking wise with a good counter attack if players are left upfield. I mean what use is SWP or Bellers back in the box?

Grand Master Ram Rod said:
I don't like it. Everton, Hull and Stoke are just 3 teams off the top of my head that have dominated us from set pieces when we've done this. Plus bringing everyone back is a joke.

If that's what Mancini wants to do though, then I'll trust him I suppose, it has worked a bit for him with a combination of good defending, a bit of luck and playing other poor teams in the air so we'll see how it goes.

I prefer man marking though personally, as even if you don't win the header, you can always put the marker off + we can be a bigger threat from them attacking wise with a good counter attack if players are left upfield. I mean what use is SWP or Bellers back in the box?

SWP and Bellers can clear it off the line mate!!

Since Mancini has arrived we have only actually lost one goal to a corner and that was when the rags scored the winner at OT from a short corner that moved the defence. This is the achilles heel of zonal marking!!

it works on corners taken normally.

but short corners we have been exposed, or free-kicks taken short, as we are in position and then opposition players have moved into gaps in the box as we are then watching the ball.

Against united in the carling cup and everton recently spring to mind.

mad zab said:
Grand Master Ram Rod said:

SWP and Bellers can clear it off the line mate!!

Since Mancini has arrived we have only actually lost one goal to a corner and that was when the rags scored the winner at OT from a short corner that moved the defence. This is the achilles heel of zonal marking!!

True, but if SWP or AJ and Bellers were 5 - 10 yards outside our box when defending a set peice, the opposition would be shit scared of the counter attack and would leave more men back, and no matter how good a centre half is in the air, he wont score against us if he is on the halfway line, and added to this is the half cleared cross can be picked up by a blue shirt and not just returned into our danger zone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.