Zonal marking...

Tricky_Trev

Were you impressed by how we executed it, or bricking it every time the ball came in? Personally, although there was a clear, free header in the 2nd half, i actually felt much calmer during opposition free-kicks than i do normally. Vinnie in particular seemed to always be perfectly placed in his "zone". So from me, Mancini's zonal marking gets a big thumbs up. Zonal marking gets incredibly bad press from "pundits", but in actual fact, goals are conceeded just as regularly from man-marking at set pieces. People only criticise it because they see something different, and make a meal of it, assuming that any goal conceeded is a direct result of zonal marking instead of man-marking. How come when a team conceeds whilst man-marking, no pundit says that they should introduce zonal marking? Answer... because it's only just entered the Premier League after being introduced by continental coaches, and people can't deal with new ideas. When there's good organisation, zonal marking can work extremley well. What did everyone else make of it?

Like i said before, it's the easiest and simplest way of defending set pieces.

That doesn't mean to say you will never ever concede a goal from it.

Tricky_Trev said:
Were you impressed by how we executed it, or bricking it every time the ball came in? Personally, although there was a clear, free header in the 2nd half, i actually felt much calmer during opposition free-kicks than i do normally. Vinnie in particular seemed to always be perfectly placed in his "zone". So from me, Mancini's zonal marking gets a big thumbs up. Zonal marking gets incredibly bad press from "pundits", but in actual fact, goals are conceeded just as regularly from man-marking at set pieces. People only criticise it because they see something different, and make a meal of it, assuming that any goal conceeded is a direct result of zonal marking instead of man-marking. How come when a team conceeds whilst man-marking, no pundit says that they should introduce zonal marking? Answer... because it's only just entered the Premier League after being introduced by continental coaches, and people can't deal with new ideas. When there's good organisation, zonal marking can work extremley well. What did everyone else make of it?

I think you have gone marking mad fella ;-)

We normaly do both zonal and man marking.

We rode our luck on set pieces.

I think it worked, but that first Stoke corner they had in front of the North Stand, (where I was) I was absolutely shitting it.

Screaming at them to mark up, having seen the size of their players in the box, I thought to myself, how the hell can this work against these...Worked well in the end though, for the woman covering her sons ears, my apologies

Corky said:

I thought we looked a lot more comfortable today and lets be fair, the game that Stoke play, there is not many sides in world football that wont concede a few chances to them.

Causes huge problems for Liverpool, Wolves could have been 2-0 up at HT due to players not really understanding what to do when opposing players move at corners/freekicks.

Everyone rides their luck on set pieces when it comes to Stoke. It's virtually the only thing they bring to the party.

I prefer man-marking but that depends on having good man-markers in the team. The evidence under Hughes suggests we didn't so going zonal at set-pieces was a practical solution and seemed to work better. As did having our full backs concentrate on defending and not acting as secondary wingers.

Also credit to Mancini for responding to Pulis's tactical shake-up early in the 2nd half by bringing Richards on to add more height. Too often Hughes seemed uncertain how to respond to opposition changes.

blueinsa said:
Corky said:

I thought we looked a lot more comfortable today and lets be fair, the game that Stoke play, there is not many sides in world football that wont concede a few chances to them.

We improved when richards came on, but there were two corners in a row that they could have scored, and it could have ended up like Sunderland.

It doesn't help when they bring Beatie and Huth on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.