Zonal Marking?

Danamy

Not sure if this has been covered yet so if it has i apologise and mods can delete.

Just wondered what peoples thoughts are on zonal marking set pieces?
It's given us two clean sheets so far but talking to some dippers fans i know they hate it and has cost them points this season.

Are you a fan of Zonal Marking or not?

I'd quietly point to Liverpool fans their defensive record since Benitez has taken charge.

Im not a fan personally, im old fashioned and I think man to man marking everyone knows there job. But Zonal is used alot abroad, and Liverpool use it, and although they've been shocking from set pieces this season, Liverpools success has been built on a misely defence! And there is no doubt we've looked very solid and comfortable using it in the last 2 games, so im rapidly coming round to it.

Have to admit it did make me nervous to see 5/6 Wolves players last night lining up on the edge of the box and all our lot marking zonal around the 6 yard box. But it worked I guess.

A running jump should always beat a standing jump, and a clever opponent will look to exploit this by observing who stands where and then changing their own set-up at corners. I think as long as everyone knows their role then it should work for us in most cases. No better or worse than man-marking if you strip it down to organisation and desire I guess.

I guess the problem we Zonal marking, is when it goes wrong it looks stupid, with man for man you can normally see the marker he just gets out jumped or whatever(like Ade against Liverpool).

If it's executed correctly, i think it's the best method, but the players have to attack the ball, if they just stand in their zone you're going to concede goals.

Wolves were getting a few free headers, but they were from like 15 yards out, have to be a pretty good header from there.

Zonal or man marking, it matters not imo.

What does matter is players having faith and trust in the way they are being told to play and the confidence to go out there and carry it out.

We are only going to get better as well :-)

Its not about zonal or man to man, its about knowing what you're doing individually, and having confidence in each other. We were neither one nor the other under MH, and defended like a pub team, we have looked a lot more professional under RM in both games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.