Zonal Marking...???

For me its just too easy for teams to exploit, if they study how we mark zonally its easily beaten. Man marking is not. Zonal marking is costing us points.

@OptaCity
56 - #MCFC have conceded the highest number of Premier League goals from set-pieces (56%) this season. Zonal.

xzbit04 said:
@OptaCity
56 - #MCFC have conceded the highest number of Premier League goals from set-pieces (56%) this season. Zonal.

Obviously correcting the obvious error, that we've conceded the highest percentage of goals from set pieces.

It's fundamentally flawed, in that the better we defend from open play the worse we look from set pieces, when in fact how we defend from open play doesn't affect it in the slightest.

(Goals conceded from set pieces):(Number of set pieces) is a far more revealing statistic.

Jnr Kisby said:
For me its just too easy for teams to exploit, if they study how we mark zonally its easily beaten. Man marking is not. Zonal marking is costing us points.

I agree. Free headers in the box from set pieces are unforgiveable.

Plus players inside the posts as appropriate,

Balti said:
Jnr Kisby said:

I agree. Free headers in the box from set pieces are unforgiveable.

Plus players inside the posts as appropriate,

its ok if you make it as difficult as you can for the player to get a free head or foot as has been the case in the Chumps League at the ball.

That can be achieved via zonal or man marking.

Get the small lads to block, or at least hamper, the attackers runs. Isn' that how it should work?

If each player does their job properly it works flawlessly and no one mentions how good it is. Just like the very minimal amount of credit our defenders have got for having the most clean sheets two seasons in a row. When it goes wrong every fucker thinks their a tactical genius and that the coaches and manager are inept at playing this system and should be fired.

If you do man marking and just walk off as the corner comes in and your man scores do we all then come crying on here saying man marking doesn't work or just simply say the player didn't do his job.

The goals conceded from corners v Ajax were due to markers not marking before any zonal problems.

If people are going to slag off zonal marking, at least go to the trouble of finding out what it is first, rather than just repeating what some clueless, overpaid twat on the radio or TV has said.

Last year we used a dirty zonal, which is basically a mixture between the two methods. A couple are assigned to mark dangerous headers, the rest mark zonally.

Its not just about getting tight on each man, we must react and be ready for the second ball as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.