Cold calling and DPA

bornblueegg

So I understand from a business point of view the requirements for the Data Protection Act but as a recipient I'm a little lost.

Basically I received a cold call from a solicitors with ID withheld appearing on my phone. Before they would discuss the reason for the call I was asked to complete the usual DPA requirements. I refused.

I have no prior connection to the solicitors specified and with no reference point to the reason for the call felt that this would be dumb as.... just to hand over my personal details.

Anyone else fell into this situation?

If, for example they could prove who they were and where they were calling from maybe I'd carry the call further, bearing in mind that 25% of all mortgage frauds are linked to dodgy solicitors ( I do know this to be true) I was less than convinced that the situation was genuine.

So I understand from a business point of view the requirements for the Data Protection Act but as a recipient I'm a little lost.

Basically I received a cold call from a solicitors with ID withheld appearing on my phone. Before they would discuss the reason for the call I was asked to complete the usual DPA requirements. I refused.

I have no prior connection to the solicitors specified and with no reference point to the reason for the call felt that this would be dumb as.... just to hand over my personal details.

If, for example they could prove who they were and where they were calling from maybe I'd carry the call further, bearing in mind that 25% of all mortgage frauds are linked to dodgy solicitors ( I do know this to be true) I was less than convinced that the situation was genuine.

You did well Tubs !
If it's a cold caller then be alert and aware of security implications.
Never give out information to a cold caller.

I had a phone call the other day from a Company claiming my computer had some "security problems" and they were there to help me.
The phone went dead after I said I did not own a computer.
Did you mention that the string had broken on your abacus, and you needed an engineer to come round and fix it?
(Remember I'm older than you, kid)

Not sure about there but over here they are not allowed to withhold their number.
I won't even answer my phone unless the caller is in my contact list.

I had one ring up and tell me he was calling with regard to the car accident i had. I said to him that it was a very bad one, to which he started asking for details and wasnt pleased when I told him it must have been a very serious one as i had no memory whatsoever of it.

Went out and checked the car for damage too after he hung up....no scratches or dents.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.