NASA Press conference.

Several possible earth type planets in the aquarious area

CvEFg6qWYAA2Bpd.jpg:large

Scientists have discovered at least three new planets in our galaxy that could have allowed life to evolve.

The Earth-sized worlds lie in the "Goldilocks zone" of their sun, where temperatures are not too hot or cold, and are thought to be capable of having oceans of water.

They are in a group of at least seven planets orbiting a dwarf star called Trappist-1, in a newly discovered solar system 39 light years from us. A light year is the distance light travels in a year.

http://news.sky.com/story/scientists-find-three-new-planets-where-life-could-have-evolved-10777513

Interesting find. If they can find out if it has similar atmosphere, I have a feeling there will be a space race to populate/ colonise those planets. Them already harbouring life will be more interesting but finding a planet that has the right conditions for us to freely pollute is itself something. 39 light years is quite close too. The fastest spacecraft we have takes 5 years to complete a light year so by today's technology that's 200 years.

39 light years is quite close too. The fastest spacecraft we have takes 5 years to complete a light year so by today's technology that's 200 years.
Just had a picture in my head of the people on that spacecraft getting really pissed off when they get overtaken by spacecraft developed and launched 70 years later.

Interesting find. If they can find out if it has similar atmosphere, I have a feeling there will be a space race to populate/ colonise those planets. Them already harbouring life will be more interesting but finding a planet that has the right conditions for us to freely pollute is itself something. 39 light years is quite close too. The fastest spacecraft we have takes 5 years to complete a light year so by today's technology that's 200 years.
Is that right 5 years for a light year. Dont know enough to say you are wrong it just doesnt seem right to me,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.