NASA Press conference.

Just had a picture in my head of the people on that spacecraft getting really pissed off when they get overtaken by spacecraft developed and launched 70 years later.

180 years into the voyage to planet Trappist 1e, members of the spaceship 'Populace' received news that scientists have perfected wormhole technology. Trappist 1e now has a population of 5,000 with an Asda and 3 Burger Kings. The spaceship 'Populace' will be welcomed with a celebration nonetheless.

Is that right 5 years for a light year. Dont know enough to say you are wrong it just doesnt seem right to me,

Breakthrough spacecraft claims they have technology to travel 1 lightyear in 5 years. Stephen Hawking launched (edit: the project, not the craft) it last year and they intend to go to one of Kepler's planets (4 lightyears away) within 20 years. Not sure if it's a prototype but the technology seems to be getting there.

180 years into the voyage to planet Trappist 1e, members of the spaceship 'Populace' received news that scientists have perfected wormhole technology. Trappist 1e now has a population of 5,000 with an Asda and 3 Burger Kings. The spaceship 'Populace' will be welcomed with a celebration nonetheless.
In other news m*n u*d have declared a sell out attendance of 50,000,000 for their friendly game on Trappist 1e yesterday. They faced off against the local amateur side on the planet's sole venue, recently built 400 capacity stadium Space Jam park. The home side ran out 5-0 winners.

Interesting find. If they can find out if it has similar atmosphere, I have a feeling there will be a space race to populate/ colonise those planets. Them already harbouring life will be more interesting but finding a planet that has the right conditions for us to freely pollute is itself something. 39 light years is quite close too. The fastest spacecraft we have takes 5 years to complete a light year so by today's technology that's 200 years.

The fastest spacecraft we have takes 5 years to complete a light year so by today's technology that's 200 year

I think you might be out a bit there mate.

1 light year = 5.88 Trillion miles. X 39
=229.32 trillion miles. Divide that by 200 and it's way way longer than that even at our too speed.

Breakthrough spacecraft claims they have technology to travel 1 lightyear in 5 years. Stephen Hawking launched (edit: the project, not the craft) it last year and they intend to go to one of Kepler's planets (4 lightyears away) within 20 years. Not sure if it's a prototype but the technology seems to be getting there.
Thanks, so if I understand you its still theoretical, not built yet ?

Interesting find. If they can find out if it has similar atmosphere, I have a feeling there will be a space race to populate/ colonise those planets. Them already harbouring life will be more interesting but finding a planet that has the right conditions for us to freely pollute is itself something. 39 light years is quite close too. The fastest spacecraft we have takes 5 years to complete a light year so by today's technology that's 200 years.
Your only just off with 200 years. It's the equivalent of about 60 trillion miles away. Spacecraft will speed up and slow down according to gravity of passing planets but the fastest a spacecraft has left the earth is 36,000 MPH. If it stayed at that constant speed it would take about 700,000 years.

The fastest spacecraft we have takes 5 years to complete a light year so by today's technology that's 200 year

I think you might be out a bit there mate.

1 light year = 5.88 Trillion miles. X 39
=229.32 trillion miles. Divide that by 200 and it's way way longer than that even at our too speed.

i hope im here to see in land and enjoy the piss up

Is that right 5 years for a light year. Dont know enough to say you are wrong it just doesnt seem right to me,

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016...s-big-plan-build-tiny-interstellar-spacecraft

Not really reassuring though since they are tiny spacecrafts. I did
Your only just off with 200 years. It's the equivalent of about 60 trillion miles away. Spacecraft will speed up and slow down according to gravity of passing planets but the fastest a spacecraft has left the earth is 36,000 MPH. If it stayed at that constant speed it would take about 700,000 years.

Breakthrough Starshot

i still don't get why we are fascinated with finding life out there in space

we cannot leave this planet to live a normal life and breathe air and drink water we are locked onto this planet like or not yes we can go to the moon and space walk but only for a short time and with a life support machine and its also a very big gamble just to break out of the earth appmosphere and many have died doing so and the money spent on space is unbelievable it just does not add up for me

its the question that nobody can answer (why are we here)

i still don't get why we are fascinated with finding life out there in space

we cannot leave this planet to live a normal life and breathe air and drink water we are locked onto this planet like or not yes we can go to the moon and space walk but only for a short time and with a life support machine and its also a very big gamble just to break out of the earth appmosphere and many have died doing so and the money spent on space is unbelievable it just does not add up for me

its the question that nobody can answer (why are we here)

I do love your posts, Ancoats.... They have a sense of innocence rarely found today (:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.