City Football Group (CFG) buy into Chinese club Sichuan Jiuniu FC (from Chengdu)

You're absolutely spot on, mate.

In Sorriano's book he talks about Barca looking at the model of having multiple clubs in multiple countries. They were at an advanced stage of creating a Barcelona franchise in Miami but they decided against it.

Sorriano goes on to talk about the model of having multiple clubs in multiple countries. He says the US and S.E. Asia would be the ideal territories to do it because there is huge wealth and a strong following for football which is in it's infancy. Hearts and minds are still to be won so there would be little or no resistance to new clubs.

He goes on to say Europe and South America have long established links to football clubs going back generations and that there would be great hostility to launching new clubs / rebranding existing ones in these areas, so he didn't think it was viable.

He also went on to say that South America and Africa would be less attractive than the US and SE Asia because there wasn't as much disposable income, making it less attractive commercially.

So South America was seen as the least attractive territory for a new club because the local fans would be resistant to it, and there is less wealth and disposable income than in other areas.

I don't know if the OP has some inside information, but going off Sorriano's book, I would be absolutely stunned if we launched a CFG club in South America. Creating a friendly link with an existing club to help in developing young players like we have with NAC Breda or Girono, possibly, but a Montevideo City FC? No chance in hell would be my guess.
Having not read his book, that's a really interesting post mate. Cheers for the insight.

All I can say is that the original information will have been 100% accurate. However, I've heard it 3rd hand, so you might be correct about more of a partnership than an ownership. Chinese whispers and all that. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Seeing as we've not bought a SE Asia club yet, but have bought an Australian club, was anything written about Australian football and any potential for growth there?

Also, do you think that with the finance behind CFG being on a completely different planet to the money behind Barca, that the plans Sorriano has for CFG are on a different level to his previous plans? Ie South America is now a completely viable option?

Having not read his book, that's a really interesting post mate. Cheers for the insight.

All I can say is that the original information will have been 100% accurate. However, I've heard it 3rd hand, so you might be correct about more of a partnership than an ownership. Chinese whispers and all that. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Seeing as we've not bought a SE Asia club yet, but have bought an Australian club, was anything written about Australian football and any potential for growth there?

Also, do you think that with the finance behind CFG being on a completely different planet to the money behind Barca, that the plans Sorriano has for CFG are on a different level to his previous plans? Ie South America is now a completely viable option?

You know what mate, it's a really interesting read, I'd recommend it if you're interested in City's business strategy or management in general.

He talks about the kind of personality needed to manage certain groups. He says when you have had a manager who is too strict and morale is down, if you have a talented workforce, they need a manager who is amiable and easy going and will let them get on with it. He clearly followed this theory to a T when he appointed Pellegrini.

He also said the reverse was true that when you have had an amiable manager, standards can drop and players / staff can become complacent. He says in this instance if you have a highly talented group of players you need an inspirational leader with exacting standards who is an expert in their field to re-invigorate the group. He used this example as why they appointed Guardiola after the laid back style of Rijkaard, and he's followed the exact same path when appointing Guardiola after Pellegrini.

Going off Sorriano's theory, I would expect someone like Anchelotti to be our next manager, as opposed to someone like Pochetino. After 3 or 4 years intensive work under Pep, the group will probably need a break and the time will be right for for a more laid back, easy going leader.

Sorry, I've gone off track a bit there. I can't remember him mentioning Australia in the book, maybe he did but I can't quite remember.

Regarding the finance behind CFG, you're quite right in that CFG have access to huge capital that wasn't available to Barca, so we are in a position where we can fund the launch of these new clubs. However, his two main points about South America - that there is a pretty small middle class with not much disposable income, and they have a very mature football market with deep-rooted loyalty to teams, still remains.

Even if we can write off the expense of launching a new club in South America, it would not be a commercially viable enterprise and it might actually do damage to our reputation in the region if we are seen to be re-branding an established club.

The other thing of note he said was that he would only be interested in getting involved in well run leagues with excellent administration and little chance of corruption. That's why MLS was the perfect league, the A-League is similar but on a smaller scale and the J-League is pretty well established now. The Chinese Super-League is still in the early stages of development and has been noted for corruption so I assume we are going to keep a close eye on how it develops.

From reading his book my personal view is that we will never see a "City" branded club in South America or another one in Europe. China is the most likely next destination and possibly longer term maybe one in South Africa.

You know what mate, it's a really interesting read, I'd recommend it if you're interested in City's business strategy or management in general.

He talks about the kind of personality needed to manage certain groups. He says when you have had a manager who is too strict and morale is down, if you have a talented workforce, they need a manager who is amiable and easy going and will let them get on with it. He clearly followed this theory to a T when he appointed Pellegrini.

He also said the reverse was true that when you have had an amiable manager, standards can drop and players / staff can become complacent. He says in this instance if you have a highly talented group of players you need an inspirational leader with exacting standards who is an expert in their field to re-invigorate the group. He used this example as why they appointed Guardiola after the laid back style of Rijkaard, and he's followed the exact same path when appointing Guardiola after Pellegrini.

Going off Sorriano's theory, I would expect someone like Anchelotti to be our next manager, as opposed to someone like Pochetino. After 3 or 4 years intensive work under Pep, the group will probably need a break and the time will be right for for a more laid back, easy going leader.

Sorry, I've gone off track a bit there. I can't remember him mentioning Australia in the book, maybe he did but I can't quite remember.

Regarding the finance behind CFG, you're quite right in that CFG have access to huge capital that wasn't available to Barca, so we are in a position where we can fund the launch of these new clubs. However, his two main points about South America - that there is a pretty small middle class with not much disposable income, and they have a very mature football market with deep-rooted loyalty to teams, still remains.

Even if we can write off the expense of launching a new club in South America, it would not be a commercially viable enterprise and it might actually do damage to our reputation in the region if we are seen to be re-branding an established club.

The other thing of note he said was that he would only be interested in getting involved in well run leagues with excellent administration and little chance of corruption. That's why MLS was the perfect league, the A-League is similar but on a smaller scale and the J-League is pretty well established now. The Chinese Super-League is still in the early stages of development and has been noted for corruption so I assume we are going to keep a close eye on how it develops.

From reading his book my personal view is that we will never see a "City" branded club in South America or another one in Europe. China is the most likely next destination and possibly longer term maybe one in South Africa.
Nice one Shaelumstash, think you've just convinced me to buy a copy & have a good read.

Well written & interesting post yet again pal. I find the info you posted about different management types especially intriguing, as like you say, this has been followed to a T.

I'm guessing that this isn't the only business strategy he's written about & then implemented at God's Own Club, so I'm looking forward to reading his book for a greater insight into what is happening/could happen at City.

I can't be the only one who couldn't give a damn about these so called 'sister' clubs, maybe i'm thick but i really can't see how we benefit as a club

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.