Arijanet Muric | Joins Burnley on a permanent deal

It's a media like reaction to someone having a great game isn't it? Granted he was special yesterday and is a wonderful prospect but let's not go over the top just yet.

Gunn has been magnificent for a while and I can remember one performance (there have been plenty) where he was similarly outstanding. Saved us through the match and then saved 2 or 3 penalties to get us through to the next round.

Angus is also very very confident and good with his feet. If, as is reported, we are in for the Benfica keeper it would seem Angus's time at City might be over as he really needs first team action. He is currently the England under 21's keeper along with Pickford. Pickford might be first choice but Angus has had plenty of games. Pickford is playing regular prem games and getting some great reviews whilst Angus has to sit behind Willie and Bravo! Something not quite right there.

Yep, if Gunn doesn't get the 2nd spot next season he has to go out on loan, Bournemouth are stuck with shit keepers so I'll hope for that one to happen(unlikely a Prem club will take on an inexperienced keeper though).

I can see your point.

From my point of view I think Muric looks to have the brighter future.

He looks like a future Premier League player to me as he has all the physical attributes along with the shot stopping and distribution.

I think it's no coincidence Gunn - who is 22 next year - hasn't had any first team football anywhere yet in his career. I just don't think he is as good as many make out.

Pickford on the other hand had around 100 league appearances and 6 loans before getting the number 1 spot at the age of 22 at Sunderland.

You're making it sound like no club wants Gunn on loan, you couldn't be more wrong. Pep wanted him to stay this season. There is a reason why he is regularly called up for England's U21's despite never played senior football, because he is highly rated by everyone.

You're making it sound like no club wants Gunn on loan, you couldn't be more wrong. Pep wanted him to stay this season. There is a reason why he is regularly called up for England's U21's despite never played senior football, because he is highly rated by everyone.[/QUOTE] If Gunn was highly rated by Pep he would surely have got a few minutes game time this season based on Bravos and Caballeros displays.

If Gunn was highly rated by Pep he would surely have got a few minutes game time this season based on Bravos and Caballeros displays.

No, that's not a given. It raises question marks possibly but I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it.

I can see your point.

From my point of view I think Muric looks to have the brighter future.

He looks like a future Premier League player to me as he has all the physical attributes along with the shot stopping and distribution.

I think it's no coincidence Gunn - who is 22 next year - hasn't had any first team football anywhere yet in his career. I just don't think he is as good as many make out.

Pickford - his rival for the number 1 spot in the England u21's - on the other hand had around 100 league appearances and 6 loans before getting the number 1 spot at the age of 22 at Sunderland.

If Gunn had been at Sunderland or someother lower club he would have been playing first team football as well.

If Gunn had been at Sunderland or someother lower club he would have been playing first team football as well.

Why hasn't a lower league club taken him on though?

Pickford has only really broke through this season, prior to that he was at the likes of Darlington, Alfreton, Burton, Carlisle, Bradford and Preston.

I could be completely wrong on Gunn mate I know, but I just think it's quite telling from my point of view that he hasn't been on loan anywhere yet.

I just think if he was future City quality he would have had 80-100 league caps in the lower leagues behind him at the end of this season.

Pickford has only really broke through this season, prior to that he was at the likes of Darlington, Alfreton, Burton, Carlisle, Bradford and Preston.

I could be completely wrong on Gunn mate I know, but I just think it's quite telling from my point of view that he hasn't been on loan anywhere yet.

I just think if he was future City quality he would have had 80-100 league caps in the lower leagues behind him at the end of this season.
Do you honestly believe that we've struggled to find a loan club for an England u21 keeper? Course we haven't. He's not been on loan cos the club have wanted him to stay around. Whether that's right or not, I don't know...but it's true.

Have you seen any of our Youth keepers play? Billy o'Brien, Lawlor?

It's immediately obvious that Gunn is a better keeper and yet those 2 got plenty of loans, very easily.

So I really struggle to understand how anyone ends up thinking he's somehow not good enough to get any loan deals at all.

Last edited:
Do you honestly believe that we've struggled to find a loan club for an England u21 keeper? Course we haven't. He's not been on loan cos the club have wanted him to stay around. Whether that's right or not, I don't know...but it's true.

Presumably because Pep, rightly or wrongly, looks for very different qualities in a goalkeeper than nigh on every other manager. He's made it very clear that he prioritizes ability with the ball over traditional goalkeeping ability and he won't find a loan club with the same priorities.

Presumably because Pep, rightly or wrongly, looks for very different qualities in a goalkeeper than nigh on every other manager. He's made it very clear that he prioritizes ability with the ball over traditional goalkeeping ability and he won't find a loan club with the same priorities.
Not in England, but in Spain or Holland he'd be encouraged to pass it about at least. Maybe not to the same extent.

I guess the problem with loaning a goalkeeper out is there isn't much rotation or sub appearances, if he doesn't get in the team or makes a couple of mistakes might be stuck on the bench for the season.

I'd be more than happy to bring in a proper number 1, have Gunn as number 2, Muric 3 (out on loan) and Willy on a 12 month contract to cover emergencies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.