General Election June 8th

Who will you vote for at the General Election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 189 28.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 366 55.8%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 37 5.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 23 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 33 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
75% of our rail companies are owned by Nationalised companies which are owned by foreign states.

http://actionforrail.org/three-quarters-of-uk-rail-owned-by-foreign-states-research-reveals/

Over half of our water companies are, at least partly, foreign owned.

http://www.aol.co.uk/money/2013/05/21/who-really-owns-our-water-companies/

66% of the "big six" Energy companies are foreign owned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Six_energy_suppliers

We're going to leave the EU and have the vast majority of our utilities run by, and profited from, by other EU states, some of whom have admitted that they do cream-off profits from the UK to spend on their own infrastructure.

"A German Transport Ministry spokesperson recently admitted to such a strategy in reference to its state-owned company Deutsche Bahn: “We’re skimming profit from the entire Deutsche Bahn and ensuring that it is anchored in our budget – that way we can make sure it is invested in the rail network here in Germany.”"

FTR Deutsche Bahn "operates the Arriva Trains Wales, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, Grand Central and Tyne & Wear Metro operations. On 1 April 2016 Arriva became the operator of the Northern rail franchise. It also holds a 50% shareholding in London Overground Rail Operations and has lodged an application to operate services under the Great North Western Railway brand. In November 2016, Arriva Rail London will commence operating the London Overground concession in its own right."

Meanwhile...

"The publicly owned East Coast main line is due to be privatised by the government, despite operating very successfully. Since being taken back under public ownership in 2009, East Coast has returned over £1bn to the Treasury, in stark contrast to private train operators. East Coast was brought under public ownership following the failure of two previous private train operators, but the government seems determined to privatise it."

We have the highest fares in Europe. Passengers and taxpayers are subsidising a system that hands increasing profits to private, largely foreign, state-owned train operators, rather than being invested back into the system, as it would be under public ownership.

I find it strange that those who want us out of the EU, also are seemingly happy that EU states (mainly) are profiting from us!?

Apparently they believe that we're not capable, as a nation, to successfully do it ourselves. Despite plenty of contemporary evidence to the contrary.

Imagine that our very own successful, nationalised, owned by the nation, run for the nation, rail, water and energy companies got so successful that they were able to own, and profit from, ventures into foreign lands...

You'd think it was a Brexiters dream. But no. Apparently it's ludicrous. Apparently it's a throwback. Apparently it's the 1970s all over again.

We need to take back control of and invest in our country, it's assets, infrastructure, institutions and people.

Isn't that the wonderful myth? Denounce state ownership but support state ownership as long as its not your state - then you refer to it as market forces. And then throw Brexit into the mix and yeah you wonder why strong and stable leadership and taking back control from the EU doesn't include our transport and utilities but the party who suggests it are unelectable lefties - yeah right

The money paid in bonuses could reduce bank charges, increase interest paid, pay ordinary bank workers more, reduce interest charged on business loans (or just lend more - there might be more entrepreneurs if these capitalist banks weren't so risk-averse). Money circulates in the economy, in the poorer 95% of the population, which is better for the economy.

Are you arguing with me or against me? I only realised recently that the term "conspicuous consumption" dates back over 100 years, but I do recall Katherine Whitehorn's insight from the mid-70s: "We don't need 90% of what we buy. We just can't do without it". The need to spend as a psychological condition (as distinct from mere greed) is another aspect.

It may be in there somewhere but I think you omitted that social inequality is bad for the economy. There's stuff from the UK but this came up on google: http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam...tary_Library/pubs/BriefingBook44p/EconEffects Our own government says the same, but then acts to reinforce social inequality (benefit cuts, grammar schools) because so many people can't see it - and think taxation is a burden rather than a means to general happiness (where most evidence is that higher taxed countries with good public services are happier countries). http://inequality.org/happiness-and-taxes/

stop talking sense and upsetting the strong and stable apple cart will you !!!

Your first point is pure Thatcherism with the trickle down effect- the second speaks for itself and the third is commie talk from them there Scandewegian folks - everybody knows such sense is bollocks lol

Sorry, but can't resist:

"The great theoreticians are only in the rarest cases great organizers, since the greatness of thetheoretician and program-maker lies primarily in the recognition and establishment of abstractly correct laws, while the organizer must primarily be a psychologist. He must take people as they are and must therefore know them. He must not overestimate them, any more than he must underestimate them in the mass. On the contrary, he must endeavor to take weakness and bestiality equally into account, in order, considering all factors, to create a formation which will be a living organism, imbued with strong and stable power, and thus suited to upholding an idea and paving the way for its success."

http://www.mondopolitico.com/library/meinkampf/v2c11.htm

75% of our rail companies are owned by Nationalised companies which are owned by foreign states.

http://actionforrail.org/three-quarters-of-uk-rail-owned-by-foreign-states-research-reveals/

Over half of our water companies are, at least partly, foreign owned.

http://www.aol.co.uk/money/2013/05/21/who-really-owns-our-water-companies/

66% of the "big six" Energy companies are foreign owned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Six_energy_suppliers

We're going to leave the EU and have the vast majority of our utilities run by, and profited from, by other EU states, some of whom have admitted that they do cream-off profits from the UK to spend on their own infrastructure.

"A German Transport Ministry spokesperson recently admitted to such a strategy in reference to its state-owned company Deutsche Bahn: “We’re skimming profit from the entire Deutsche Bahn and ensuring that it is anchored in our budget – that way we can make sure it is invested in the rail network here in Germany.”"

FTR Deutsche Bahn "operates the Arriva Trains Wales, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, Grand Central and Tyne & Wear Metro operations. On 1 April 2016 Arriva became the operator of the Northern rail franchise. It also holds a 50% shareholding in London Overground Rail Operations and has lodged an application to operate services under the Great North Western Railway brand. In November 2016, Arriva Rail London will commence operating the London Overground concession in its own right."

Meanwhile...

"The publicly owned East Coast main line is due to be privatised by the government, despite operating very successfully. Since being taken back under public ownership in 2009, East Coast has returned over £1bn to the Treasury, in stark contrast to private train operators. East Coast was brought under public ownership following the failure of two previous private train operators, but the government seems determined to privatise it."

We have the highest fares in Europe. Passengers and taxpayers are subsidising a system that hands increasing profits to private, largely foreign, state-owned train operators, rather than being invested back into the system, as it would be under public ownership.

I find it strange that those who want us out of the EU, also are seemingly happy that EU states (mainly) are profiting from us!?

Apparently they believe that we're not capable, as a nation, to successfully do it ourselves. Despite plenty of contemporary evidence to the contrary.

Imagine that our very own successful, nationalised, owned by the nation, run for the nation, rail, water and energy companies got so successful that they were able to own, and profit from, ventures into foreign lands...

You'd think it was a Brexiters dream. But no. Apparently it's ludicrous. Apparently it's a throwback. Apparently it's the 1970s all over again.

We need to take back control of and invest in our country, it's assets, infrastructure, institutions and people.

You may want to watch this

Where have I said everyone should earn the same?

And you are very rude. The figures don't take account of national insurance (which used to be a contribution to benefits and pension but is now effectively just a regressive tax). On 20k a year it's 7% of income, on 120k it's 5%.
So you're changing the goal posts now (from people talking about income tax) as you've realised the figures were indeed correct.

NI is still used for contributions towards benefits and pension.

The money paid in bonuses could reduce bank charges, increase interest paid, pay ordinary bank workers more, reduce interest charged on business loans (or just lend more - there might be more entrepreneurs if these capitalist banks weren't so risk-averse).
I think you need to work out the distinction between retail and investment banking before you come up with your next great idea.

I went to a shit high school left having failed my A levels as I was working part time to help my parents get by due to their poor business acumen. Joined the military as a way of securing a proper income and usable skills, unfortunately the trade I chose "Flight Engineer" was being phased out in the civilian world due to automation in aircraft systems. Left after 10 years service with little to show for it and a huge divorce bill to boot. Payed for my civilian pilots license but after 5 years flying 9/11 crushed the industry so I odd jobbed fitting kitchens while looking for something permanent. Made a big decision to leave the Uk permanently when a training position came up and worked my way to a management position by shear will and hard work, accepting all the shittiest schedules and deployments.

No fucker helped me. I did it myself, I never claimed dole even when i could have and I funded my own qualifications both technical and educational.

I pay an appropriate level of tax here in Switzerland, I pay for my health care and i live within my means.

If some fucker asked for 50% of my income I would fuck off quick sharp. (I wouldn't be in the 50% bracket)

No fucker helped you.

Apart from paying for you to go to school, the paying for to work directly for the people while training for 10 years.

That sounds somewhat oblivious.

Well this thread last time was about 800 pages long and pulled at least 5 times for infighting and cleaning up from memeory, with mods being accused of bias to the left, ed milliband being called a far left nutjob (sounds a bit silly now) Rascal still about and cameron getting called a pig fucker, so this times all a bit more tame atm.

On the mancunian board bit, though and it's refelction on the pole I think like all poles 175 people out of a GM population of 2 isn't an barometer, plus the pole maybe would probably been better in the constituency thread which feflects that areas voting trend.

Got to admit that with a few noted examples, politics threads are now more about discussions of issues and events than in the past.

Well this thread last time was about 800 pages long and pulled at least 5 times for infighting and cleaning up from memeory, with mods being accused of bias to the left, ed milliband being called a far left nutjob (sounds a bit silly now) Rascal still about and cameron getting called a pig fucker, so this times all a bit more tame atm.

On the mancunian board bit, though and it's refelction on the pole I think like all poles 175 people out of a GM population of 2 isn't an barometer, plus the pole maybe would probably been better in the constituency thread which feflects that areas voting trend.

At about this stage during the last election I posted that Cameron was running a dismal, lethargic campaign and could end up losing seats resulting in a Labour/SNP coalition. A brilliant prediction.

It didnt matter how poorly the tories campaigned in 2015, they just pointed the finger at Red Ed (and the SNP) and that was enough. It appears that they 're taking that strategy to even higher levels this time round. Its a concerted "campaign" of say nowt, don't create any hostages to fortune, just leave it to Corbyn and Abbott to boost the majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.