Post Match Thread: Election 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then the Tories should rally their 13,640,000 on to the streets to oppose them. Woop woop. Let's have a big show down somewhere. We should keep it civil though.

Fuck the fact that there's just been an election. Whoever can shout the loudest should win.

I could spend the rest of my life having this bleeding conversation. The right to demonstrate and protest is part of the democratic process. If the Tories want to hold a rally in support of their, sorry, DUP policies then have at it.

i have said what i said - every time labour get in power things seem to go tits up? Is this wrong? I can google it and give you some data but really cant be arsed. Just take my 40 years life as my view.

In my strong opinion every time labour get in power things go tits up and the tories sort it out - "professor Worlseyweb 2017"

Not really sure about 97 / 98 - i was more concerned with Alan Ball taking us down.

an opinion with no data to back it up.
thats the debate over

By the way I chose 97/98 beacsue that was the last time labour got into power and I thought it would be easier to remember some examples from then as opposed to 1974, whcih was the time before that
But if you cant be arsed, then you cant be arsed.

I could spend the rest of my life having this bleeding conversation. The right to demonstrate and protest is part of the democratic process. If the Tories want to hold a rally in support of their, sorry, DUP policies then have at it.

I thought the DUP loved a good march?

It's paraphrasing Churchill...innit?

its is indeed from speech in the house of commons in 1947. the full quote is
"Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

you are easily wound up arent you?
I am so sorry I upset you.

I have apologised , do you still want me to stay fucked off or do you want to debate?

Thank-you for your apology. Yes, you did upset me.

You said, "you didn't really address the points". I didn't have time to pick through it line by line since I was going out shortly. My reply at the time was "sure mate - good points". I further went on to say that of course we cannot get everyone into highly skilled work and necessarily we will have to accommodate some low paid jobs, for which I think the least worst option is to subsidize their pay with benefits. So I am not exactly sure what more you want me to say.

To recap, my position is this:

1. You cannot simply pay people more, and in the case of the unskilled and very low paid, much more than they would earn in a free market system, since it would burden the employer too much and the goods and services produced would no longer be competitive and businesses would go bust. Customers would buy cheaper imported product instead, or stop buying the product altogether. It would put people out of work.

The average pub makes around 7p a pint on beer. Put wages up to £10/h and beer becomes £6 a pint or whatever, and more pubs would shut.

2. You could lob a load of money at employers to enable them to pay more (quite the opposite of Jeremy's plans), but how would that work? What would be the moral justification for taxing everyone in the country more, in order to subsidize the likes of Mike Ashley. I think that's a non-starter. Employers could deliberately pay less, knowing they'd get a hand out. Doesn't work.

3. We could ban cheap imports. This does not work, full stop. It depresses the economy by making us pay more than we currently do for the same stuff. We have less disposable income, and the economy slumps. And we can't do it anyway until we leave the EU and depending on the deal, maybe we can't do it then either. And the exporting country would likely retaliate, wrecking our exports too. So everyone loses. Another non-starter.

4. Having ruled out 1,2 and 3 as being unworkable, the least worse option is to help the poorest with in work benefits. I can see no better alternative, but if you have one, I am all ears.

Clearly even 4 is not ideal and therefore it's important that we recognise this and strive to increase the number of skilled jobs in our economy and reduce the number of low paid unskilled ones. Obviously we'll always need some of these latter jobs, and we'll have to augment peoples' pay unless they work in industries where the pay can go up without putting the companies out of work. To get everyone off benefits, I don't know the numbers but I would imagine the minimum wage would have to be even higher than £10/h. Businesses such as farming just could not stand it, so we need to think of alternative approaches.

thats the debate over

By the way I chose 97/98 beacsue that was the last time labour got into power and I thought it would be easier to remember some examples from then as opposed to 1974, whcih was the time before that
If I can remember correctly, PFI funding although initiated by John Major, was hammered by the following Labour govt?...short term gain long term nightmare no?

Then the Tories should rally their 13,640,000 on to the streets to oppose them. Woop woop. Let's have a big show down somewhere. We should keep it civil though.

Fuck the fact that there's just been an election. Whoever can shout the loudest should win.

there has been a general election
If it had been decisive then rallying on the streets would be a waste of time, but still a democratic act.
the election was indecisive and a rally now is democratic and can have an effect as it puts pressure on our elected representatives
democracy is the will of the people and isnt just about general elections or local elections.
And part of it is about which group can rally its support and make the most noise.
Its a crap system, but its the least crap system available.

If you have a better system,let me know

For those hoping to keep politics out of the discussion about the Grenfell Tower Fire, forget it, this is a report from the scene an hour ago....

There is a growing sense of anger and frustration among the crowds gathered under the Westway flyover where volunteers are sorting and boxing donations.

One volunteer, Sinead O’Hare, said the fire and loss of life had tapped into a deeper sense of resentment and alienation.

“People are angry about years of Tory policy of cutting corners and costs, and refusing to take responsibility. The interests of the Tory party are closely allied to the interests of business and private landlords,” she said.

People from other parts of London who are homeless and hungry had started turning up in the area hoping for food and other necessities, she said.

The media is one target for resentment. “You press people didn’t come here when people were blogging about the danger. You only come when people are dead,” said Calvin Benson, who was carrying a handmade sign saying: “I am not a photo opportunity.”

“You pick and choose your stories. The blogs have been active for years but no one was interested.”

Several photographers and camera operators have been pushed, jabbed and shouted at as anger and tension have overtaken initial shock at the fire.

thats the debate over

So Labour got in in 1997 and things were good - by the time they left things were fucked. Dont need Data.

Doesnt matter about cash - building control have to sign something off - it has to be compliant. they don't care about budgets it has to comply. Somewhere errors have been made. It is not political.
It could be, it could be corrupt, somebody could have been paid to keep quiet (sign it off).

The enquiry is going to have be squeaky clean on this, and it has to be politically neutral, I won't hold my breath, whichever party is in government when it eventually starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.