Kippax

Not the Kippax but 1930's ULTRAS? ; ))

95suh2.jpg

Originally I would sit on a crash barrier with my dad behind me as a nipper.

Then spent a few years at the top near the always when I thought I was hard.

Shit myself one day when I jumped up and caught a cool cat under his chin with my head, think he bit his tongue.

Spent most of the rest of my Kippax life stood in windy corner between the main Kippax and the North Stand as the rake was better as I grew older but remained a shorthouse.

Approaching the ground from the Yew Tree Road direction and seeing the stand towering ahead of you. Particularly or a night match and those floodlights, which seemed to go up to the moon (when you were a young lad).
Walking through that tunnel in the middle of the stand, and the sight of the pitch in front of you as you approach the end of it.
That warm, wet feeling on the back of your leg.
Or the pieces of broken bottle showering down on you after being pegged by the lovely visiting fans up onto the roof steel above your head.
The bloke walking along the touchline selling bovril (or was it Oxo; it's getting a bit hazy at my age).
Those lovely toilets behind the stand.
Taking your life in your hands and being perched on that wall at the corner of the Kippax and North Stand. That was a tidy little drop behind it.

ronmanager.gif

Marvellous, isn't it?

How do. Can anyone confirm what the two main bars were called in the old Kippax Stand terrace. I think there were two, in fact it could've been three. All the bars were eventually named after players at Maine Road, and I seem to remember in the Kippax, one was called 'The Francis Lee bar', and other was called, 'The Denis Law bar'.
I've searched for images, and looked in books, but can't find frack all.

I've some photos I took on the last day of the Kippax of two guys, dressed as Laurel and Hardy, lifting the "Francis Lee Bar" sign after the match and being stopped by the filth on the way out. If anyone can tell me how to upload scans of photos onto here, I will gladly share.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.