Kippax

I've some photos I took on the last day of the Kippax of two guys, dressed as Laurel and Hardy, lifting the "Francis Lee Bar" sign after the match and being stopped by the filth on the way out. If anyone can tell me how to upload scans of photos onto here, I will gladly share.

Now that's a picture we need to see on here.

Old Kipp what a place.
Derby day pennies hurled from one side to the other, bottles of piss thrown into the rafters to shatter and rain down on those below. In its darkest days darts were even hurled.
Remember playing L'Pool sometime in the late 60s and scouser walking up a gangway carrying a Bowie knife!
Scarves, 10 feet long in sky, white and maroon.
Half time stood along the ledge outside at the back.
That Charlton match I got in late and just got in under the tunnel when we scored. I was shit scared of falling and being trampled. Couldn't get anywhere near my usual spot. God knows how many they let in that day.

Last edited:
Used to stand/sit in the windy corner/Gene Kelly stand. When they moved the away fans into the north stand I was about 5 feet away from them and it got pretty interesting at times!! Bizarrely I also remember Oldham fans being the worst. They were complete nutters. Also the bogs at the bottom of the stairs were absolutely rancid

Great times standing on the Kippax during the late 60s and the 70s, always like the fact that you could watch the team play at both ends of the pitch.........

Old Kipp what a place.
Derby day pennies hurled from one side to the other, bottles of piss thrown into the rafters to shatter and rain down on those below. In its darkest days darts were even hurled.
Remember playing L'Pool sometime in the late 60s and scouser walking up a gangway carrying a Bowie knife!
Scarves, 10 feet long in sky, white and maroon.
Half time stood along the ledge outside at the back.
That Charlton match I got in late and just got in under the tunnel when we scored. I was shit scared of falling and being trampled. Couldn't get anywhere near my usual spot. God knows how many they let in that day.
Attendance quoted as 48000 but I reckon you could easily add an extra 15-20k on the official number. Never seen or been anywhere as crowded as Maine Road was that Saturday afternoon. Watched the match from right at the back of the Kippax whilst stood some 6ft high metal railings. One false step and it would have been game over - Fantastic memories.

The first truly 'electric' atmosphere I remember was agin Everton in April 1968.
Rags were top,City second.
We won 2-0
Rags lost 5-3
Kippax really drove us on that night & to the title !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.