How to get to Islay/Scottish islands

6b87455a0f5a98eabe1f071fb4b6e5f8.png

I've done it 3 times normally set of about 8pm and drive through the night it's a hard slog but well worth it , this is the route we took !
Fair play mate that's a hell of an effort. I've wanted to do it for a long time - might go for it this summer.

As someone who likes a good single malt I've always fancied a pilgrimage to the Scottish islands - specifically Islay.

However I can't make head nor tail of the best way to get there - the ferry routes are pretty baffling. Has anyone ever done this trip and do you have any advice? Traveling from the Manchester area.
If you fly up there you'll still need a car unfortunately as some of the distillerys are a fair distance apart, a mug is needed. I had my nephew.

I agree, the ferrys are a bit baffling. We went from Tarbet on the mainland to Port Askaig where we spent the night and then gradually made our way down to Port Ellen where you can again get the ferry back to Tarbet. That should suit whoever is the 'mug' as Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg are all within walking distance from the town.

If you fancy that route when you arrive back at Tarbet it's only a short drive to another ferry port which I can't remember the name but you can get the ferry to Lochranza on Arran. Again just a walk to the Arran distillery, completely different taste to an Islay whisky but great selection and well worth the visit.

TBH it is a bit of a ball ache to arrange but definitely well worth it.

best option is to drive to Glasgow and fly to Islay. Returns can be anything from £50 to £200. If you're planning a trip this summer, look at midweek to midweek flights, currently about £100 Glasgow-Islay rtn.

Another option is to fly from Manchester, more convenient perhaps, and saves the bother & expense of getting to Glasgow. Midweek returns are about £200 over the summer.

If you've time and fancy a bit of an adventure, you can do some island hopping. Kennacraig is your best port out to Islay. You can actually get to Kennacraig in 3hrs from Glasgow in a car, and there's even a citylink bus that goes there (about £25 i think). From Kennacraig to Islay is about 2 hrs ont ferry for about £7 foot passenger, about £30 a car

Islay's also a great place for a cycle trip.

But if your driving there then definitely its definitely worth a side trip to Campbeltown to visit the Springbank distillery. It's pretty much the only place left where you can see the whole whisky-making process on the same site. (You can also do this at Kilchoman on Islay, but that is a very small farm-based distillery)

Springbank make some of the very best malts produced anywhere. They also make a peated version (Longrow) and an Irish-style triple distilled malt (Hazelbank).

See if Calmac do an island hopping ticket. I'm pretty sure they do. It's brilliant up there. I'd happily retire up there one day, but suspect family ties to Manchester might prevent it.

Drive up to Ardrossan, ferry to Arran (Brodick). Have a night on Arran and visit the distillery, then get the ferry from Lochranza on the north of the island, back to the mainland (Claonaig).
Tayvallich isn't too far to drive from there, for the ferry to Jura and Islay

If you fly up there you'll still need a car unfortunately as some of the distillerys are a fair distance apart, a mug is needed. I had my nephew.

I agree, the ferrys are a bit baffling. We went from Tarbet on the mainland to Port Askaig where we spent the night and then gradually made our way down to Port Ellen where you can again get the ferry back to Tarbet. That should suit whoever is the 'mug' as Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg are all within walking distance from the town.

If you fancy that route when you arrive back at Tarbet it's only a short drive to another ferry port which I can't remember the name but you can get the ferry to Lochranza on Arran. Again just a walk to the Arran distillery, completely different taste to an Islay whisky but great selection and well worth the visit.

TBH it is a bit of a ball ache to arrange but definitely well worth it.
Cheers mate that's really helpful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.