How to get to Islay/Scottish islands

Do you hibernate up there or what?

No I live out in the country. Today we gathered wood which I have sawn for the fire.

I grow stuff and I love it. We have no light pollution so in those two nights a year we get no rain, it's spectacular.

We are a hardy breed.

Don't get me wrong, I have all mod cons too. About 30 bottles of various fine Malts and access to the best fish, beef and lamb in the world.

And my Mrs is a fantastic cook and baker, as well fucking gorgeous, funny and clever.

It's not easy. But I soldier on. It's how I roll. :)

If you have the time, drive and use the ferries. Spend a night in Glasgow too.

The Islands by ferry hopping is a fantastic way to see the full beauty, even in shit weather and as we can evidence, we do have the occasional dull day.

Enjoy whichever mode you use, I just think travelling in a way you can stop off at interesting places tops flying there.

We’re driving up there and getting the ferry over from Kennacraig. Got four days and I really want to do as many islay distilleries as I can so not sure how much island hopping I’ll be able to get done. I don’t think this will be our first and last time up there though anyway!

We’re driving up there and getting the ferry over from Kennacraig. Got four days and I really want to do as many islay distilleries as I can so not sure how much island hopping I’ll be able to get done. I don’t think this will be our first and last time up there though anyway!
Just seen the thread, I used to go when the kids were young in the summer, do information may be out of date and less applicable to November.
It's a lovely island, if you are self catering and like seafood, stop off at Loch Fyne oyster bar on the way, the shop is good and the kippers excellent. Don't underestimate the drive round to Kennacraig it's quite long and the speed is very traffic dependant.
I realise you don't want to Island hop with time constraints but Jura is worth a visit if you find the time, it's only a five minute ferry across from Port Askaig and has a very different and more isolated feel than Islay, it also has it's own distillery, which does visits but check times.
The best place I ate at was the harbour Inn in Bowmore which has great seafood.
If you're into golf take your clubs, the Machrie is a cracking course.
If you're into bird watching it's popular at this time with birds particularly geese coming down from Greenland for winter.
If the weather is clear you get great views of the Antrim coast of Ireland from the south of the Island particularly the Oa. It's worth taking binoculars if you have them.
Hope you have a great time it's a lovely place.

If you want to do all the Islay distilleries double check the opening times in winter. A couple of years ago I did all the distilleries except Bowmore as we didn’t realise they close at 12.30 on Saturdays at this time of year. It was a pity but tbh if I had to choose one to miss out on it probably would have been Bowmore. Enjoy

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.