Centre back options

Although all teams who are successful and are trying to prise away players from unwilling sellers will tend to overpay I think we are overpaying now less than we used to relative to the market.
Walker is the leading Right back in the premier league playing for title contenders with a full contract he will always command a premium price. Compare with Lescott, Milner and Bellamy who although good and useful players were never in that league but we paid very large prices for.
True. In fairness my flapping has subsided a bit. It just flares up every now and then :p

I think this is the aim, and the club are making progress on this front. Initially after the takeover we were effectively paying a tariff for not having prestige of the biggest clubs in Europe. As we get closer to joining the top European clubs now a player like Yaya who was signed on huge wages is staying on reduced wages to play for us. We are gradually clearing out the high earners who don't warrant them and generally signing younger players on lower wages with the possibility of upwards mobility if earned. I think the Sheikh is in for the long haul so and I think he will accept the club still in an growing and investing phase. Also its great to see although the club isn't running as efficiently as it could currently, the long term infrastructure being put in is first class. The development of the academy, the campus, women's teams as well as partnership clubs in top tier leagues will maximise our chance of long term self sufficiency.

Massive +1. Trust the process.

I'm confused as to why my boy @Dax777 hasn't factored this yet? ;)

His price bitching has always confused me as we almost always see eye to eye. hmm

I think this is the aim, and the club are making progress on this front. Initially after the takeover we were effectively paying a tariff for not having prestige of the biggest clubs in Europe. As we get closer to joining the top European clubs now a player like Yaya who was signed on huge wages is staying on reduced wages to play for us. We are gradually clearing out the high earners who don't warrant them and generally signing younger players on lower wages with the possibility of upwards mobility if earned. I think the Sheikh is in for the long haul so and I think he will accept the club still in an growing and investing phase. Also its great to see although the club isn't running as efficiently as it could currently, the long term infrastructure being put in is first class. The development of the academy, the campus, women's teams as well as partnership clubs in top tier leagues will maximise our chance of long term self sufficiency.
I agree with your vision. Just trying flapping us there sooner :)

Mangala playing the way Pep wants his defenders to play would be like watching a car crash every week

Agreed.

In the right system Mangala will be OK, but asking him to play the way Pep want would just be a disaster in a footballing sense.

Since the takeover we've always been a few players short of a great squad. Even when we won the league we were highly dependent on the first 13/14. So every summer we've been chasing players. Clubs knew that we needed to buy. If we get to the stage where we're just looking to replace a couple of players every summer, and young players are coming through, we will have much more clout in the market.

Goal saying we tried to sign Bonucci before he signed with Milan...

Sam Lee‏Verified account @Sammy_Goal 2m2 minutes ago
City tried for Bonucci in the end, once they found out Juve were selling for a price that was "easy" to match

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/683/main/2017/07/15/37080802/man-city-centre-back-search-goes-on-after-missing-out-on?utm_referrer=https://t.co/R91aXOR1aO

He never wanted to leave Italy.

Shame really as he would have been a killer signing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.