Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they do, but seeing as Lincoln wasn't an abolitionist until the war was virtually won, did not want black jury members,
and was no promoter of equality, until much later in his career, maybe they should start ripping down his statues.
After all, racists are racists, right?
How is it that people don't understand the difference between confederate soldiers and people like Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln? It should be super easy to understand. You see the CSA (Confederate States of America) were a whole different country for a short time. They turned their back on America, went to war with America and killed hundreds of thousands of Americans. No country erects monuments to leaders of countries that committed atrocities against them. Last I checked there are no Hitler memorials in America, England, Russia or Israel. Is there a bin Laden memorial in NYC?

Washington and Jefferson were Americans. They were integral in forming our nation and never took up arms against it. Lincoln preserved the union, he never declared war on us.

How is it that people don't understand the difference between confederate soldiers and people like Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln? It should be super easy to understand. You see the CSA (Confederate States of America) were a whole different country for a short time. They turned their back on America, went to war with America and killed hundreds of thousands of Americans. No country erects monuments to leaders of countries that committed atrocities against them. Last I checked there are no Hitler memorials in America, England, Russia or Israel. Is there a bin Laden memorial in NYC?

Washington and Jefferson were Americans. They were integral in forming our nation and never took up arms against it. Lincoln preserved the union, he never declared war on us.

I doubt people like 'Tev' will understand this VERY simplistic and frank post.

None of us can get through the thick wall of stupidity, so I will be EXTREMELY surprised if you succeed...

I don't understand your point, of course I understand the difference between the soldier and the politician,
but the wreckers destroying statues of Lee and confederate soldiers obviously do not. We are hearing about these people being representative of
racist values, Lee was no different to most from both the North and South, the fight was about self determination.
Thomas Jefferson kept hundreds of slaves, apparently 41 out of 56? of the founding fathers did, so why laud these above Lee, who
was, by every unbiased account not only a brilliant military tactician, but also an an extremely honourable man?

I've never understood how things get taken out of context so easily in the age we live in. All you have to do is look something up and verify it. Common sense tells me that there's no way HRC would have ever said that Dumb Donald's supporters are deplorable. It's all part of the right-wing smear machine she's talked about for years, people who live in that bubble are so easily manipulated because they either don't have any other sources of information or they don't believe anything they hear unless it comes from inside the bubble.

Another classic is the "I invented the internet" comment attributed to Al Gore. I'd say 99% of republicans believe he said it but in reality he never said anything close to it. What he did say was something about supporting legislation that lead to the development of the internet. The guy lost by something like 100 votes in Florida. What if the people down there actually knew the facts? Would it have swayed a few votes from either W or Nader? If Gore had won we almost certainly wouldn't have invaded Iraq which means that it's likely there would be no ISIS today (so all of their terrorist attacks would never have happened). It's also possible that we may have avoided 9/11 altogether since W's administration chose to ignore al Qaeda and focus on the Russians.

There are consequences to being uninformed, major consequences.
And then there's misinformed mixed with little common sense. That Gore opened up a right can of worms with his invention.

I don't understand your point, of course I understand the difference between the soldier and the politician,
but the wreckers destroying statues of Lee and confederate soldiers obviously do not. We are hearing about these people being representative of
racist values, Lee was no different to most from both the North and South, the fight was about self determination.
Thomas Jefferson kept hundreds of slaves, apparently 41 out of 56? of the founding fathers did, so why laud these above Lee, who
was, by every unbiased account not only a brilliant military tactician, but also an an extremely honourable man?
Lee fought against the US. I don't get how that is so hard to understand, it was called the Civil War and is in all the history books.

I saw that afterwards, but it's still THEN vs NOW, whatever the timeframe. 1924 is still THEN, and from what I know, the USA wasn't exactly tolerant then. Didn't someone claim that it was around the time of an upsurge in southern discontent? I don't know about that - one for the American historians!
That's the point. Lee's statue went up as part of the rise of segregation- in a park from which non-whites were banned (in an era when blacks were disenfranchised, so couldn't vote against it). It's not in any way "neutral".

Depends on which parts of history are relevant, Lincoln was a Republican, who was against equal rights and pro repatriation.
Surprisingly, the KKK was a product of the Democrats.
I'm talking about the current obstructionist (even when it damages the economy), gerrymandering, Trump-tolerating Republican party.

Depends on which parts of history are relevant, Lincoln was a Republican, who was against equal rights and pro repatriation.
Surprisingly, the KKK was a product of the Democrats.
This is another point that is constantly brought up w/o telling the whole story. The words "republican" or "democrat" are just that, words. In the mid-19th century the republicans emerged as the party of abolitionists while the democrats ruled the slave-owning south. The ideologies of the parties shifted through the years and then in the 1960's president Johnson (a democrat from Texas) signed the Civil Rights Act. After which he proclaimed "We (democrats) just lost the south". Almost immediately the southern democrats (aka dixiecrats) left the party and became republicans. So, while the party is still called the republican party it has nothing to do with civil rights and works tirelessly to disenfranchise and take advantage of minorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.