Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I am concerned it is simple, it he raises his foot clips the ball over Ederson and makes no contact with him then its fine, however the risk is if he doesn't then it is correctly a straight red.

I agree. I think it's a generation thing. As a keeper I would expect a forward to go for a ball like that, and although I think he's horrible I agree with shearer, I'd want my forward to go for it. That said they changed the rules and by today's (unnecessary) over protective anti tackling / challenging rules it was rightly a sending off. I don't agree with it, but I'm old. That said I didn't think walker or scneiderlins were sendings off either.

I had no problem with him going for it. It was a risky strategy though. Get there first and he either scores or Ederson is sent off but get it wrong and he is sent off. It was exceptionally Brave goalkeeping and I don't think Mane had anticipated that bit.

I do remember it but dont see the relevance. Also there was no contact with the ball today was there ? Havent seen all the replays but from what i saw at the time it was just boot to head. I honestly think it would have been as straight a red 20 years ago as it was today.
I said mirror image (keeper taking player out). The ref saw two players going for the same ball (50-50) and took no action other than a goal kick. It is meant to illustrate the difference in perceptions then and now. There is no argument from me that by today's standards it was a sending off. My point is I can see why shearer and co would expect the forward to go for it

I had no problem with him going for it. It was a risky strategy though. Get there first and he either scores or Ederson is sent off but get it wrong and he is sent off. It was exceptionally Brave goalkeeping and I don't think Mane had anticipated that bit.
Wish there was a like button ... excellent keeping

I said mirror image (keeper taking player out). The ref saw two players going for the same ball (50-50) and took no action other than a goal kick. It is meant to illustrate the difference in perceptions then and now. There is no argument from me that by today's standards it was a sending off. My point is I can see why shearer and co would expect the forward to go for it

You would have something of a point if his boot hadnt been 6ft off the ground. You simply cant, and to be fair never have been, allowed to "go for it" like that.

You would have something of a point if his boot hadnt been 6ft off the ground. You simply cant, and to be fair never have been, allowed to "go for it" like that.
Sorry. Above is meant as reply. Cocking up the I T input is proof of my old age lol

That particular challenge is regarded as one of the worst of all time and nobody has ever thought it was a fair challenge, except obviously the one referee.

I understand your point, but maybe you need to find a better example.

For me the bottom line is 100% red card and, if it was a City player who had been sent off for that, the media would probably be calling for a lengthy ban.

Shearer deliberately kicked Neil Lennon full in the head in one of the most vicious and cowardly attacks ever seen on a football pitch in this country. The referee incredibly failed to send him off. When the FA were talking about a retrospective ban he threatened never to play for England again if they proceeded and with qualifiying games for the 2000 Euros coming up the FA announced they'd be taking no further action after finding him not guilty of deliberately kicking Lennon in the head.

Incident starts at 30 seconds in.

I'd forgotten about that. Shearer is a horrible bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.