Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob Draper in the Mail more or less told everyone City only got a chance to show off their attacking ability and cover up their defensive inefficiencies because of the sending off. Until then we were being ripped apart at will even though we'd scored against the run of play. Presumably we'd escaped the dippers running riot, scoring double figures and winning the prem at our place?

I read an article over how the city fans were bad for singing the Gerrard song and booing Milner. But booing Ederson was okay huh?
The commentator couldn't believe Milner being booed, city fans used to be better than that and used to welcome ex players back with applause , it's a sign of how the clubs changed.
I've never heard any criticism of the dippers or anyone else booing sterling

I said mirror image (keeper taking player out). The ref saw two players going for the same ball (50-50) and took no action other than a goal kick. It is meant to illustrate the difference in perceptions then and now. There is no argument from me that by today's standards it was a sending off. My point is I can see why shearer and co would expect the forward to go for it
No, the ref just made a total balls of the decision, even 35 years ago that was a clear foul - penalty to France and a red card for Schumacher would have been the correct decision.

When we were in the third tier in 98/99 we played Stoke at the Britannia, a high ball came over, Ged Wiekens went to head the ball and a Stoke player went for the ball with a high boot and caught Wiekens in the face - ref gave him a straight red. The rules haven't changed that much at all.

Look I'm not arguing it's right, I am saying attitudes and tolerances have lessened

All that is on that clip; is shit refereeing. He hasn't seen it properly.

If a ref saw a player kick another one in the face at head height in 1968, he'd send the **** off, end of. It wouldn't even be a debate. Either that or it would be a bent/coward ref.

They didn't have to bother about all the bullshit of 'oo he didn't mean it', they could just call a violent challenge for what it was.

If Mane had misssed his face & caught his collarbone, it could have been much much worse.

Look I'm not arguing it's right, I am saying attitudes and tolerances have lessened

So all your demonstration video shows is the ref making a mistake, listen to the commentator who is incensed that nothing was given, citing dangerous play.

We're being painted as bullies by the BBC for winning 5-0 and not going easy on them when they went down to 10...

You wouldn't have even known we'd won from yesterday's headline which just said how Klopp disagreed with the Mané red!

Match of the Day were fairly reasonable there.

Sorry mate, disagree. They were playing down a potentially career ending piece of play. Yes he should go for it but not with his foot and not by jumping 2 feet off the ground when he knows that the keeper is going to go in with his head. Linekar had already played his cards on social media and it felt to me that it was scripted to fall in line with his earlier views. Embarrassing

I hear what you say, but going for the ball was always priority. For the ball, not the man being the point. If you got the ball first it wasn't a foul. Things have changed, interpretations have changed. Remember this (mirror image of today) from 1982

I remember watching that game as a kid and being amazed the player wasn't sent off, pretty sure the commentary team was livid too

As far as I am concerned it is simple, it he raises his foot clips the ball over Ederson and makes no contact with him then its fine, however the risk is if he doesn't then it is correctly a straight red.

correct, nothing more to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.