United thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir Bobby at 80?

What the fuck?

Yet another BBC rag themed documentary.

Probably want to tell everyone how this great "gentleman" couldn't even be arsed to attend his own mother's funeral. All you need to know about him really.

Great player but an arse hole of a person No doubt it will be a sugar coated rag tv like production Being advertised that it will have contributions from the football world, the likes of Piss-can Family-man and of course ****ona and it wouldn't be complete with a contribution from his love child Patrick Barclay Wonder if Big Jack will make a contribution?

I hate the rags as much as anyone and I especially hate things like "the class of 92" that panders towards their red audience but if we look at the story of charlton without our blue tinted glasses you can probably understand why it is a pretty special footballing story. For him to have survived a plane crash in which a lot of his close friends and colleagues perished to then go on to win everything at club level for that team and the World Cup for England. I totally understand why the English media would celebrate this given how much our country has been starved of success.

By the way I hope they get twatted on Saturday.
I think what you've posted there is pretty spot on. Especially the last bit!

I think it was Geoff Hurst who once commented that he was fed up with all the attention the 1966 lot got - not because he didn't like it, but because they only received it because England had won absolutely nothing since, and that infuriated him.

That's one to make you wince isn't it? Hopefully it makes him wince too.
I was actually cringing (which I don't do very often) in the lead up to him saying it. I'd like to think he now looks upon it with a degree of embarrassment and regret. I understand that social conventions change (my gran used to use that term) but when was it ever even remotely ok to use that term in the company of black people? And on national tv? Certainly at no time since Winston Churchill died.

I was actually cringing (which I don't do very often) in the lead up to him saying it. I'd like to think he now looks upon it with a degree of embarrassment and regret. I understand that social conventions change (my gran used to use that term) but when was it ever even remotely ok to use that term in the company of black people? And on national tv? Certainly at no time since Winston Churchill died.

I'm sure he does. I've got to be honest, my parents would occasionally use phrases when I was growing up that would make me gasp and tell them in no uncertain terms they couldn't do so - and they always looked confused about why, and strenuously saying they didn't mean anything by it. And they wouldn't use those phrases today, so maybe it's a case of a generational thing and education. If we were to be really generous, the fact Hurst blithely said that in Crooks' company suggests complete obliviousness to why it might be objectionable. We all know those who say things in "safe" (i.e. all white) company but wouldn't dare in front of someone who wasn't - and that calculation and awareness is probably worse.

The only other thing I'd add is that I wouldn't give a life sentence to him for one thing he's said, as long as he doesn't stand by it.

I'm sure he does. I've got to be honest, my parents would occasionally use phrases when I was growing up that would make me gasp and tell them in no uncertain terms they couldn't do so - and they always looked confused about why, and strenuously saying they didn't mean anything by it. And they wouldn't use those phrases today, so maybe it's a case of a generational thing and education. If we were to be really generous, the fact Hurst blithely said that in Crooks' company suggests complete obliviousness to why it might be objectionable. We all know those who say things in "safe" (i.e. all white) company but wouldn't dare in front of someone who wasn't - and that calculation and awareness is probably worse.

The only other thing I'd add is that I wouldn't give a life sentence to him for one thing he's said, as long as he doesn't stand by it.
Yeah, well said. I'd agree with everything you've said there, mate. Life moves on and it's easy looking back and judging people through the prism of contemporary norms. My gran used that term and she didn't have a racist bone in her body. She simply didn't posses the hate in her being that such a feeling requires.

Now you've made me feel guilty about posting it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.