Classic Album Overrated/Underrated Discussion

I also agree with the Radiohead and OK Computer comments. "Paranoid Android" is considered one of the best songs, yet is a second-rate "Happiness is a Warm Gun" rip-off.
I just can't hear a comparison between the two. Paranoid Android is almost prog rock - changes in time signature, acoustic to heavy guitar and a choral ending. Happiness is Lennon songwriting at it's worst - turgid mediocrity. Having said all that the Bends is a better album than OK Computer

Yeah you're right.

However, I think I was trying to push the point that it's underrated locally.

Like I say, the Gallagher's etc get far more recognition for some bizarre reason. I rarely here anyone refer to Unknown Pleasures as a top album yet any old gash put out by anyone who's associated with Oasis or the Stone Roses get god like status locally.

I know from your posts that you really like the Gallagher's so no offence intended.

I am indeed a massive fan, it’s not the big hits like wonderwall, back in anger etc that I love about them - it’s their b-sides mainly, there catalogue of B sides are just so good, even the ones not on The Masterplan.

I’m sure if I give Joy Division the same time I have the Gallaghers over the years i’d be just as big of a fan. I’ve learnt from my reviews that if you listen to an album enough you really warm to it more and more - aside from the teeny pop stuff, which even then isn’t so bad that all Music can be liked.

Under rated Townsend and Lane Rough Mix

Over rated English Settlement XTC utter shite

Beatles
Revolver I've always thought was their best.

Pepper would've been best had it had the 2 tracks it was supposed to have had

Namely, Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane

Agree completely, but then again Paperback Writer and Rain were recorded as part of the Revolver sessions. For me it’s a perpetual toss up between Rubber Soul and Revolver for best Beatles album, not least because there are at least 4 tracks on Pepper that I almost never listen to (Rita, Fixin a hole, Good Morning and Within you). The one I love best though, even though I accept it’s well down the pecking order, is Please Please Me

Vespertine by Bjork is probably my most underrated album. I think Unison is the best think she's ever written.

I'd agree that it's her most accomplished album, but I can see why people like Debut and Post.

Paranoid Android is almost prog rock - changes in time signature, acoustic to heavy guitar and a choral ending.....Having said all that the Bends is a better album than OK Computer
I finally 'get' Paranoid Android, it's all about the hip shaking samba at the beginning. The Bends is a special album I dare not listen to because it had a very powerful effect on me once. The reissue of OK Computer.....it really hasn't aged well for me. It seems pretty cynical and depressing for the sake of it, a bit hamfisted in retrospect. I reckon Kid A has aged well, there is much more nuance to the lyrics, and some crazy stuff in the arrangements that I've only just grasped. In Rainbows I like less now than I did at the time. Hail To The Theif has some great, great tracks, but is not quite up there. It is hampered by being a statement album. I have come to love King Of Limbs very much for reasons that are hard to explain....and In A Moon Shaped Pool has a series of absolute stunners. Having listened to the discography repeatedly, I'm struck by how much Thom's vocals have developed.

I don't know what the criteria for 'album' is... and I don't really like albums that much, much less all time greatest lists.... but New Order - Substance was my life for a couple of years. It's incredibly strong from start to finish. Portishead - Roseland NYC is a very strange omission. And something is wrong when Vangelis' Bladerunner is at 5219 (five thousand two hundred and nineteen).

Being an electronic obsessive, Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy is a top 10, Go Plastic is top 20, and Daedelus - Denies The Days Demise would be there for sure. Autechre - Quaristice eats Amber for breakfast.I suppose all out personal lists would be very different.

In my mind the most underrated album here is Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville, which at 242 is 150+ spots too low. Hugely influential as a lo-fi DIY grrrrrl record and still as funny and shocking and impactful as it was when released. Tremendous record.

Aja all the way down at #327 is a fracking joke. Amazing album of jazz rock that was rightly put into the US Library of Congress National Recording Registry. Ranked about 300 spots too low if you ask me.
Just shows you what a joke these lists are, they have that pile of self obsessed shite from Lennon in the top 60 or something and Aja at 327
I noticed a few other even lower that should've been much higher
Just bollocks really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.