Classic Album Overrated/Underrated Discussion

Underrated: Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden / Laughing Stock.
This is my means test of whether I can have an in depth discussion on music with someone. If, when I enquire what someone thinks of Talk Talk, they reply with " Aren"t they an 80's synth pop band?". I reply "something like that. Yeah, you're right - U2's great mate... would love to chat, but I've got some paint to watch dry. See ya!"

Elitist snobbery alert. If you only talk music to those who love the Eden album, I'm guessing your in depth convo's are few & far between!
Imho, Colour of Spring wins every time; it is more accessible but no less worthy. Have you seen/heard any of the shows from their '86 tour? A band at their peak, creatively and commercially, which isn't always the way. Eden marked their (Hollis') descent into aimless soundscapes of meandering obscura from which he's never returned.

Head - The Monkees.

Never in the discussion when it comes to albums that stand the test of time but it should be.

Agree completely, but then again Paperback Writer and Rain were recorded as part of the Revolver sessions. For me it’s a perpetual toss up between Rubber Soul and Revolver for best Beatles album, not least because there are at least 4 tracks on Pepper that I almost never listen to (Rita, Fixin a hole, Good Morning and Within you). The one I love best though, even though I accept it’s well down the pecking order, is Please Please Me

Roger Waters talking about the importance of Sgt Pepper

Underrated: Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden / Laughing Stock.
This is my means test of whether I can have an in depth discussion on music with someone. If, when I enquire what someone thinks of Talk Talk, they reply with " Aren"t they an 80's synth pop band?". I reply "something like that. Yeah, you're right - U2's great mate... would love to chat, but I've got some paint to watch dry. See ya!"
Absolute nutter.

Their best album is The Colour of Spring especially as Time is Time and I Don't Believe in You are both on there. My favourite album.

Pet Sounds I’ve always thought was nothing more than ok.

Trout Mask Replica is pretty much unlistenable. Safe As Milk is wonderful.

I’m the biggest Stones fan there is so for me 68-72 which is Beggars Banquet to Exile is the best run of albums going.

As mentioned earlier Closer is so underrated.
Agree with your Stones quote.
I find It's only rock and roll an underrated album.
On the Beatles front Pepper is the most overrated album of all time.

One More To Add to the Pot: Montrose by Montrose. They get lost among the big name 70's seventies bands. But their first two albums set the stage for all the stadium rock US bands like Van Halen to come after them (who used same producer as well.)

Agree ..... and they also used the same singer after DLR quit ....

For me the most criminally underrated artist is Ian McNabb, solo or with Icicle Works, he has written some stunning songs, and is still playing blistering live shows regularly.

Used to really like the icicle works and his solo stuff but found his constant whinging around the music industry etc a bit monotonous and tedious. Talented without a doubt and has written some great stuff. For me James Skelly is massively underrated both as a musician and songwriter. B

Agree ..... and they also used the same singer after DLR quit ....

For me the most criminally underrated artist is Ian McNabb, solo or with Icicle Works, he has written some stunning songs, and is still playing blistering live shows regularly.
Agree with comment about Ian McNabb.

Also a shout for Porcupine Tree. I know Steve Wilson is now concentrating on solo work and production but at their best PT were the best out there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.