Is football just about winning?

Why do fan numbers not reduce then for every club Mourinho has managed ?

I wasn't aware they don't, as for why, I couldn't tell you.

What I could tell you though is that if I was subjected to that tripe that was served up on Saturday everytime my club played against a rival I'd soon lose interest.

I don't think some people understood the question... it's not that winning doesn't matter... it's is it the only thing that matters?

No and it shouldn't be, Pep says he's not just here to entertain yes but he also wont paper over a poor performance where we were lucky to win and he'll take comfort if we lose or draw despite being the better team by far dominating possession to create chance after chance. There's examples from last season where we won but he was the first to say we didn't play well and probably didn't deserve to win on reflection of the performance... he wont be happy with just winning.

Very few teams can afford to have this attitude to be fair though(which is why winning ugly is enough for them), so we should enjoy every minute while it lasts. Arsenal for a time could but that didn't really last long, they've spent far more time not winning with the same philosophy and for my book we play prettier football now than they ever did and more importantly against much better competition than they were doing back then. I do hope we don't develop that high and mighty snobby attitude a lot of Arsenal fans seem to have, that only leads to self delusion.

Last edited:
Is football just about winning?
I feckin hope not with my shower of shite.
Will still support them ...forever, but wins are more an unexpected gift, than expectation.

I don't think some people understood the question... it's not that winning doesn't matter... it's is it the only thing that matters?

No and it shouldn't be, Pep says he's not just here to entertain yes but he also wont paper over a poor performance where we were lucky to win and he'll take comfort if we lose or draw despite being the better team by far dominating possession to create chance after chance. There's examples from last season where we won but he was the first to say we didn't play well and probably didn't deserve to win on reflection of the performance... he wont be happy with just winning.

Very few teams can afford to have this attitude to be fair though(which is why winning ugly is enough for them), so we should enjoy every minute while it lasts. Arsenal for a time could but that didn't really last long, they've spent far more time not winning with the same philosophy and for my book we play prettier football now than they ever did and more importantly against much better competition than they were doing back then. I do hope we don't develop that high and mighty snobby attitude a lot of Arsenal fans seem to have, that only leads to self delusion.
Very well put.

No, imho winning is not the only thing that matters. A enjoyable playstyle is important too for me, as long as it doesn't turn into big defeats afcourse.

That said, i think that winning has always been the objective of the game "points wise" and thus for a large part also financially. The difference today really is that there is so much more money at stake.

Going back into recent history ( the early sixties ) the Tottenham team was all conquering. They were led by the great Danny Blanchflower, a great footballer and was for that time a great thinker. One of his most famous quotes is still relevant today. He said "The great fallacy is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind, the game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating your opponents and not waiting for the opposition to die of boredom." How prescient is that? Perhaps some body should quote that when next time Peg justifies his Anti football

In terms of support for Manchester City... I think this likely boils down to whether or not your loyalty to City is based in large part due to ties of locality; if you're City born and bred, victory at all cost is likely (but not certainly) your opinion.

If you're a City fan not due to locality - you were born and live outside Manchester and more so outside of England but your favorite club nonetheless is Manchester City - then likely (but again, not certainly) style of play is going to be very important.
==========
To wit:

As an American citizen, I really don't care how the US men's national team wins - yes, I'd prefer an exciting style, but if that means not winning, drop style and play ugly football.

But as an American whose favorite club is Manchester City, style is a very important part of my enjoyment in watching City play.

That said, a long string of success, such as that enjoyed by Brazil, may shift sentiment more towards style - that is, victory first, but victory must be accompanied by exciting football. At a club level, Real Madrid fits this mold.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.