Is football just about winning?

in the premier league everybody is a winner £100million for going down

i was thinking last night about the 1981 cup final and what it was worth to both clubs i think manchester city made about £1million and spurs about the same but add on the uefa cup winners cup and spurs made double what city made man city went and signed trevor francis with the money and had a good season but sold him after one season and we went down hill after that and never in 30 odd years did we ever think about winning silverware

football is now all about winners and money the top 6 clubs have setup a cash cow and there are on losers like i said going down still makes £100million from the just taking part clubs like burnley have seen the light and can now hold there own and every season they stay up is like winning the lotto and winners defo not losers when you bank the money

If it was just about winning then Don Revie and his Leeds kickers would not be as reviled as they still are after 50 years. It is always about winning in style like Brazil, Barca, Nottingham Forest, and though it pains me to say it the Rags of the 90s.

Its about the odds- grinding out results against top opponents is great. But when playing those on a par you should play to win. Ask Stoke fans about watching Pulis season on season- they couldnt wait to get rid despite relative success. I would never want PEG at ours - never did, never will. I want to enjoy the battle not be bored by it.

Not read all 4 pages, so no idea if anyone else has said this.

It doesn't matter if each club spent 100 million each year on players. 3 teams will get relegated. One team will win the league, 3 others will qualify for the Champs league and there is one winner for the FA Cup and League Cup. That will never change. It is about winning games if you are one of the clubs at the top / in the finals of the cups. For the rest it is about survival. We all want to win but only a few can.

2012 It was all about winning, nothing will lessen that moment. But you know what in 2014 it was great winning the league and cup, but by the end off that summer it was almost more about the next season than enjoying the trophies. Where as the pleasure of watching us play at the moment will stay with me for a long time, hopefully that leads to trophies as well, I expect it will. but I'd rather see us play like this and finish second than play like Mourinho for the fleeting satisfaction of lifting the premier league trophy.
Everyone talks about watching that Barcelona team and yes it won trophies, but it's the football it played we remember and talk about.

If you're of a certain age you will remember the great dutch side of the 1970s even though they won bugger all. I can still name half that team now. Cruyff, (of course) Neeskins, Van der Kirkhof, Rep, Haan...

Winning is the most important but the way you do it does matter eventually, in terms of opportunities, longevity/sustainability etc. That said I'd follow City in whichever direction they went but ask fans of any club if they would do whatever they could to get their hands on a trophy, they'd all say yes.

Playing entertaining football and not winning trophies is much more 'forgivable' (not sure that's the word i'm looking for) than playing dull boring football and not winning.

If we lost the title playing the way United did at Liverpool then that's unacceptable. If we lost the title going blow for blow like we did with Monaco then you just have to say fair play.

Last edited:
Would football be as popular as it is today if it was just about winning?

Not a chance, if everyone was as cowardly as Mourinho the sport would've died a long time ago.

Why do fan numbers not reduce then for every club Mourinho has managed ?

Heard some interesting thoughts on this, posed this question to see how people 'see' football on this forum and I'm getting a better sense of people's thoughts.

I understand all sides of this issue, but still stand by my simple creed on entertainment issues "Is this a waste of my time? Is it enjoyable?" I will watch City forever anyways, even if they become boring, but I really hope that never happens. I have gotten use to not winning trophies with this club in the past, and even before the financial takeover there was plenty of entertainment to be had.

If you're of a certain age you will remember the great dutch side of the 1970s even though they won bugger all. I can still name half that team now. Cruyff, (of course) Neeskins, Van der Kirkhof, Rep, Haan...
Or the Brazil team of '82/'86 miles better and more memorable than the '94 winning team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.