Wolves post match

Well, it might sound strange, but on waking up this morning I think I was savouring that victory more than if we had smashed them 3-0 in the first half, and then strolled out with our hands in our pockets and added a fourth for good measure in the second half. We won mean. And we could have easily lost. I like that. As well as all the “art” football, we need to be able to do that, too.
As many have said, nobody played well (especially not Kun, tbh, although Gabi Jesus was even more anonymous in the match that I saw, and that was downright disturbing, frankly, never seen him so lost). Except for Claudio Bravo. I love it when a player is derided, as he was last season, and turns it round. We'll see if it's just a one-off, or if he can maintain it. Hands down, man of the match. Given the game time they've had, and that they're moving up to the senior level, I thought Zinchenko and Tosin were fair. No more, no less. Why, though, did Zinchenko start checking back and always turning it inside as the match wore on? Has he been watching too much Navas?
Of course Wolves parked the bus and tried to hit us on the break. What else are they going to do? Honestly? When our second-string team has the likes of Aguero, Jesus, Gundogan and B. Silva in it!! Fair play to them, and their support, which sounded terrific, as far as I could hear. Fair play to all those blues who sat it out till the end of a rainy, rainy night.
On to the Hawthorns…

After sleeping on it, don't see why people are saying we should praise wolves, they played 10 behind the ball and parked the bus.
The only chances they had were from our mistakes (mangala mainly).
Their keeper made plenty of saves and tbf we were outplaying them mainly, just not breaking them down.
Both teams has 9 changes, but we still looked more than capable, jesus, and raheem had quiet games and the forward line were being crowded out, but without david, ferdy and kev the centre was slower and it showed.
Overall wolve came for pens in my opinion and got them, Bravo was a class above them though.

Zinchenko, for 20yr old on his debut playing not in his natural position did a great job, though looked knackered by 80mins

He was well fucked with 15 min's to go. Cramp or a strain or summat, but he managed to get back and make a very good block just before the end. He'll be sore this morning. Overall i thought he was steady but not dynamic.

I have to give a mention to Wolves' little right back who did a great job on Sane and looked solid and determined all game.

The second XI is a worry. The squad depth isn't there to compete on all fronts.

Mendy, Kompany and Gundogan's injury problems weaken the depth further. Yaya isn't much use either and Mangala is hopeless. Danilo is a huge downgrade on what Walker offers and we have no Mendy on the other side.

The summer business improved the team a lot but with the departures the squad is weaker in terms of depth. This is exactly where we need Academy/EDS players knocking on the door to plug the gaps.

Bravo and Zinchenko did well. The Wolves finishes to one on ones were very poor, but Bravo still did well, and Bravo is just about the best saver of penalties in the world game. His record in penalty shoot outs for Chile for example is amazing. I am glad that he is rehabilitating himself in City fans' eyes.

I am not sure Guardiola got his subs right. Had he put Sane, walker and KDB on earlier, we could have won it in normal time and possibly saved the injuries to Danilo and Gundogan.

I Do not think City will face another referee this season, that will allow the game to be so physical.
If that was a 'European' game of football it would have been very stop start and a completely different game. a lot of their defending seemed to rely on wrestling and a bit of bully ball. that and 10 in the box.

I think not enough is made of the entertainment value of teams like wolves, who don't offer anything in terms of it and yet get praised for soaking up pressure and counter attack. Totally boring for both fans and neutrals to watch.
If city just played it around the back 4 and waited for them to come and press, then we would be criticised for a boring approach to the game.
These park the bus tactics will end the 20 team premier league format, leading to a superleague. Fans would rather watch end to end stuff / an open game. Pulis like tactics should not be praised.

though Zinchenko looked a bit lightweight to be honest and isnt a left back. He could probably play wing back and could possibly be a sub for Sane.

The second XI is a worry. The squad depth isn't there to compete on all fronts.

Mendy, Kompany and Gundogan's injury problems weaken the depth further. Yaya isn't much use either and Mangala is hopeless. Danilo is a huge downgrade on what Walker offers and we have no Mandy on the other side.

The summer business improved the team a lot but with the departures the squad is weaker in terms of depth. This is exactly where we need Academy/EDS players knocking on the door.
Diaz and Foden would have improved the team that played Wolves. I agree with the point you made though. The fringe players who came in with 1 or 2 exceptions did not do that well. Perhaps expected when you make so many changes. Toure was really poor and it was like playing with 10 men. particularly damaging towards the end when Gundogan could not run properly. He may never start for City again, because on that performance, he's only good for sub appearances when City have the game sown up and need to pass the ball around. I think we knew that anyway.

Well, it might sound strange, but on waking up this morning I think I was savouring that victory more than if we had smashed them 3-0 in the first half, and then strolled out with our hands in our pockets and added a fourth for good measure in the second half. We won mean. And we could have easily lost. I like that. As well as all the “art” football, we need to be able to do that, too.
As many have said, nobody played well (especially not Kun, tbh, although Gabi Jesus was even more anonymous in the match that I saw, and that was downright disturbing, frankly, never seen him so lost). Except for Claudio Bravo. I love it when a player is derided, as he was last season, and turns it round. We'll see if it's just a one-off, or if he can maintain it. Hands down, man of the match. Given the game time they've had, and that they're moving up to the senior level, I thought Zinchenko and Tosin were fair. No more, no less. Why, though, did Zinchenko start checking back and always turning it inside as the match wore on? Has he been watching too much Navas?
Of course Wolves parked the bus and tried to hit us on the break. What else are they going to do? Honestly? When our second-string team has the likes of Aguero, Jesus, Gundogan and B. Silva in it!! Fair play to them, and their support, which sounded terrific, as far as I could hear. Fair play to all those blues who sat it out till the end of a rainy, rainy night.
On to the Hawthorns…

Pretty damn good summation there LB.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.