Vincent Kompany - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough re. my quote being removed. People twisting my words annoy me. I still stand by my point though re Vinnie not being able to put together a sustained run of games. As you said yourself, the run you mentioned was from March until september, with the close seaon to rest and recuperate. I'd love the guy to prove me wrong, as he's one of the best City capotains I've had the privilege to watch, alongside the likes of Doyle and Booky. If Vinnie can't continue as a player, I'd love to see him stay on in some sort of capacity at the club. Coaching in the academy, or some sort of ambassadorial role (though that might not appeal to him).

Fair enough, everyone has different opinions. Again, im sorry for mixing things up. Lets hope we see him fit and back to his best soon, whenever that will be.

2. VK a finished footballer? Since these injury issues started, too many started to think we need to get rid of him. Well, if all of our CBs is of his quality then there is no crisis if he gets injured. Mangala is the problem as he simply isnt good enough. Replace him with a better CB in january and we are more than fine in the short term. Vinny HAS recently proved he can remain fit for a longer period, he was injury free from end of march to the beginning of september.

In context to his last 4 years, that's a long time for Vincent.

In wider context to professional footballers, that's a very short time. Even more so when 3 of those months are essentially close season.

I don't think we'll sell him in January or even in the summer. He has the contract for 18 months and he doesn't have to go if he doesn't want even if we'd sell him. But he's finished as regular starter and when everyone fit will get as much games as Mangala is getting now as we'll definitely be in the market for new CB very soon. Pep is not bullshitter and his words yesterday were pretty much the verdict for Kompany's situation. And people can be emotional as they want, it is the right thing to do and say. Vinnie will always be the City legend but we're fishing too high at the moment to carry him anymore. we've never been bad to him, he was offered all the support and patience of the world in last 2-3 years.

I can’t think of a better defender in all the time I’ve been following us.
Mike Doyle? Dave Watson? Those two were definitely up there with the best of their era, just as Vinny has been exceptional during his tenure of being fit and the leader of the team.

Last edited:
1. I think its disrespectful to want one of our biggest legends out in january.

2. VK a finished footballer? Since these injury issues started, too many started to think we need to get rid of him. Well, if all of our CBs is of his quality then there is no crisis if he gets injured. Mangala is the problem as he simply isnt good enough. Replace him with a better CB in january and we are more than fine in the short term. Vinny HAS recently proved he can remain fit for a longer period, he was injury free from end of march to the beginning of september.

3. Will Pep get rid of VK because of his injuries? At Bayern, Robben, Ribery, Boateng and particulary Badstuber were all hampered with injuries. Did Pep get rid of them? No. Because if you have the quality to play in a Guardiola team you stay in the squad. Otamendi and Stones will remain our first choice CBs, and whoever replaces Mangala will likely be 3rd choice.

The way forward: Vinny has 18 months left of his contract, and the club wont get rid of him as they hold him in high regard. The likely scenario is that he retires when his contract is up, as i cant see it being renewed. So he will stay here for one more season and retire, as that is the proper thing to do as he is a legend at City.
Please don’t include me in a broadbrush swipe at numerous posters, especially when I didn’t say what you said I (we) said. I said HE might choose to move on to get a game to ensure he makes the WC with Belgium, which looks like it might be his last hurrah.

Make no mistake, I hope he bounces right back, is fit for the rest of this season and next, and retires with the CL trophy raised above his head, because his status and leadership at City deserve it. However, all indications suggest that Pep has lost patience with him and his opting out of the second half of our biggest game of the season to date appears to be the straw that broke the camel’s back with Pep.

Having read Vinnies so called "I want to stay at City in any capacity" leads me to believe that this guy would walk over coals to show his allegiance towards City.
IMO his time as a full time player is probably on the decline but for me having watched the Blues for more than 5 decades he really is a true City Legend.
Vinny, I truly hope that your time as a City player continues but I and you have to be realistic mate,that unfortunately your playing days are numbered.
I truly hope that you are offered a full time job with the Blues as an Ambassador in any way shape or form.

Just seen his age, tbh, i thought he was younger and that would make things more complicated. With him 31, I guess we could somehow do the rest of his contract and give him some job in the club, he deserves it. He'll be like 33 than, guess with his body it's good time to retire from football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.