Highly critical article about Citys' owners

Nick Cohen's hypocrisy in that article is stunning:-

1) Where were the clothes he was wearing whilst writing his article made? Hardly any clothes are made in the "west" anymore. Can he, or any of us for that matter be sure that our were clothes were not made in a sweatshop?

2) The device he was using to write that article probably had some parts made in a sweatshop.

3) What about Barclays bank? shall we all stop banking there? The were rescued by the UAE during the financial crash (2008).

4) Does he own a car or use public transport? - fuel might well have come from UAE

5) Does he cook with gas or eat out in restaurants that do? - UAE is the biggest exporter of gas.

6) The Qataris, who have nothing to do with Man City, own a huge amount of London - The Shard, Chelsea Barracks, Harrods, Nine Elms etc, etc and, I think Canary Wharf?

7) Majority of immigrants in any country have always mostly done menial labour.

8) What about golf, tennis, F1?

9) Has he heard of the Emirates stadium?

Cohen, G Neville, Scholes and the others now only have the history of Man United to hang on to. Man United are rubbish.

What I find strange is that none of these esteemed writers seemed to mind about any human rights abuse our owners are accused of back in 2008. They weren't that arsed in 2009 either, or 2010. To save typing out every year that they haven't really been arsed I will simply skip to 2017. Now as we sit 13 points clear they have decided that our owners are slave traders/employers. Perhaps it is ok in their eyes to abuse peoples human rights so long as you are not walking away with the league title.

Certainly true in my case SF.

Cannot really blame them, perhaps all journos consider a City link, no matter how obscure, to be financially worth writing about.
I suppose we will have to get used to this association link and try to take it as a compliment.
However I find irony in someone lecturing us on morality then using little of their own to make a quick buck rather than actually tacking the issue.

However I find irony in someone lecturing us on morality then using little of their own to make a quick buck rather than actually tacking the issue.

Agree completely SF but its´´any port in a storm´´ time for many journos.

I guess very few have the luxury of independant control over their writings. So easy and possibly mandatory to invent some sort of anti City association within their articles in order to appeal to a majority of their potential readers or viewers but I agree it does look churlish to be kind or downright hypocritical to insert ownership into a football article.

Nick Cohen's hypocrisy in that article is stunning:-

1) Where were the clothes he was wearing whilst writing his article made? Hardly any clothes are made in the "west" anymore. Can he, or any of us for that matter be sure that our were clothes were not made in a sweatshop?

2) The device he was using to write that article probably had some parts made in a sweatshop.

3) What about Barclays bank? shall we all stop banking there? The were rescued by the UAE during the financial crash (2008).

4) Does he own a car or use public transport? - fuel might well have come from UAE

5) Does he cook with gas or eat out in restaurants that do? - UAE is the biggest exporter of gas.

6) The Qataris, who have nothing to do with Man City, own a huge amount of London - The Shard, Chelsea Barracks, Harrods, Nine Elms etc, etc and, I think Canary Wharf?

7) Majority of immigrants in any country have always mostly done menial labour.

8) What about golf, tennis, F1?

9) Has he heard of the Emirates stadium?

Cohen, G Neville, Scholes and the others now only have the history of Man United to hang on to. Man United are rubbish.

Bravo. Ridiculous that we are now the stick to beat the UAE over human rights with.

World's 50 best countries to live a long, happy life:

UK number 28
UAE number 39

Seems there is not too much difference being a citizen of the U.K. or a slave in the UAE.

The happiness index has UK at 23 and UAE at 28 and a huge chunk of that score comes from being a democracy!

Nick Cohen is a wanker who pushed propaganda for the Iraq war when anyone with half a braincell knew it was based on lies. Hope he's happy with all those who've been blown to pieces because of it.

Here's the link:

Just looking at the ownership issue, I'd say he's pretty accurate and have said as much on here previously. Sheikh Mansour is the legal, nominal owner but this is an Abu Dhabi project. The clue (and the level of importance to Abu Dhabi) is in the fact that Khaldoon & Simon Pearce are heavily involved. Both are key advisers to Sheikh Mohammed & almost certainly carry more weight than Sheikh Mansour in the overall scheme of things.

As to the rest of it, I never understand why we try to project the same values we have developed over many hundreds of years and many social upheavals onto societies that have never shared or experienced those values and that have a completely different social & political tradition. How the ruling families of the UAE run their states is their business and, while we may have concerns or views, as long as they run the club well then we can have no significant complaints.

Entirely agree with you. I’d also be interested in who pays Nicholas McGeehan’s salary since I’m assuming he’s not self funding this ‘research’

Entirely agree with you. I’d also be interested in who pays Nicholas McGeehan’s salary since I’m assuming he’s not self funding this ‘research’

Nicholas McGeehan is the Bahrain, Qatar, and United Arab Emirates researcher at Human Rights Watch, or so it says on the internet. I remember all these Human Rights lot telling us all what a good thing the Arab Spring was, The War Criminal Blair joined in as did a lot of the british public. Remind me how that ended up again ?
There are times when it is good to highlight issues and there are times you should just keep your big fucking nose out.

Edit, and for completeness...
Human Rights Watch is an independent, nongovernmental organization, supported by contributions from private individuals and foundations worldwide. It accepts no government funds, directly or indirectly.

Whilst sitting here in the woods in my leaf underpants I want to make it clear no person or animal has been hurt whilst writing this post or making my pants.
This week I have mainly been eating twigs and replanting new trees to self sustain my diet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.