Sergio Aguero - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen him as bad as today. Hopefully he just had a bad day like the rest of them. He isn't usually nowhere near as bad as he was today. According to opta he lost the ball 13 times due to being dispossessed and having unsuccessful touches. The most he had previous this season was away to Watford (7 times).

Problem is with Aguero when he's playing bad he just forgets the simple things, touches go away. simple passes miss the mark, then he just makes it worse by trying to be the hero, running into players without taking notice of a pass. I love Aguero and wish he was the right man for this Pep system but I just don't think in the big games he is.

I read he has had a problem with his heel. However, it doesn't explain his consistently poor decision making. Today, he would just run with the ball until he lost it. Very irritating.

I don't agree with the comments about him being disinterested. He works hard. Certainly harder than he did under Mancini and Pellegrini.

Sergio is a City legend and will go down as one of the best ever players, almost certainly the best striker, to ever play for the club. He is one of the best goalscorers that this league has ever seen.

However, what he has never been is a player who can create things or particularly good at general team play requiring vision. Even at his peak he was lethal at creating space to shoot but only in sharp burst in the most effective areas, when the team had already got the ball into those positions.

Unfortunately, that is not what this team and this system requires. It requires someone who does have the ability to bring other into play and does have vision. With the whole team having that, the goals take care of themselves (see the amount of goals from non-strikers this season).

So, despite Sergio being much more of an impressive player and the fact that he will be remembered as far better player over the course of his career, a 'good' player like Firmino is far more suited and would be far better in the position in this team. Firmino guards possession and brings his teammates into the game.

Sergio never particularly did either of them at his peak but now, given that he has lost pace and, it seems, confidence, he is actually pretty bad at both. That's not his game and should not detract from his legacy but his control and ability to get his head up is so out of place in this team. It is criminal that the ball just bounces off him so much and that he runs into defenders and blind alleys so often, giving up possession.

This is why Pep wanted Sanchez, why an on form Jesus is better in the position and why players that when football history is written will not ever be compared to the great Sergio Aguero would be better than him in the position. We don't need his avalanche of goals anymore. This team will always score and he isn't anywhere near as sharp as he used to be anyway. The team needs someone who is on the same wavelength and plays in the same style as KDB, Silva and Sterling. And Sergio is not that man. What's more, his body language suggests that even he doesn't believe that he is that man.

Still the best goalscrorer that will ever play for the club.

I've been on Sergio's side all season but he was horrible today. Like he had concert boots on. And that shot with 4 minute left and them rocking was pure self interest. Shit decision and a shit shot.

Up there with his worst game in a City shirt today along with the Champions League 2nd leg at the Bernabau, he was absolutely woeful. Still love him though and he’s still world class. I don’t think the rotation policy helps him personally cos I think he’s one of those players that need to play week in week out, like Yaya, to be fully sharp.

Unfortunately I think this could be his last season at City. If he's still here next year, it will probably be in an even more reduced role than he currently has. Absolute legend no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.