VAR (PL introduction 2019)

'The right result' ??
Football isn't science or a maths problem that needs solving. It's a simple game with rules that have served it well for over a hundred years. Has all the footy you've seen in your life all been the 'wrong' result?
There was a moment in the Leicester match where Fleetwood had them under pressure and won a corner. The defenders pushed up quickly and the kicker wanted to take a quick corner only for the ref to stop him, stick his finger in his ear and piss about for 30 seconds (for what nobody knows). The momentum was lost, the atmosphere was lost and Leicester got to get their defence organised. This is in the last ten minutes of a cup tie.
And after last nights fiasco with VAR i'm even more convinced it will ruin the game.
some people just don't get it

The whole business with VAR is that it should be mandatory on the ref to consult in the event of a goal, a booking, a sending off and a pen. The trouble arises if the ref decides that there is no infringement and the game carries on, oblivious to the millions who have seen it from their armchairs and who know that the ref got it wrong. If this state of affairs continues after the introduction of VAR, then it would tell us what many have suspected over the years!
so the ref waves away a pen, he then has to stop the game and check with the VAR just in case? We'll never finish a game.

The whole business with VAR is that it should be mandatory on the ref to consult in the event of a goal, a booking, a sending off and a pen. The trouble arises if the ref decides that there is no infringement and the game carries on, oblivious to the millions who have seen it from their armchairs and who know that the ref got it wrong. If this state of affairs continues after the introduction of VAR, then it would tell us what many have suspected over the years!

This occurred to me in one of the last Cup games. The VAR review for a possible penalty only happened once the game had a natural break, which was 3 or 4 minutes later. In that time, the opposition had a chance to score themselves. What happens if they had scored? Those 3-4 minutes are struck off the game, the subsequent goal chalked off and then it's brought back for a pen? Or if a player commits a bad foul a few minutes later - does the player still get a yellow card? And if the same player, say, had in fact dived for the penalty incident, do they get a yellow card for that followed by a second yellow in a part of the game that isn't actually valid anymore?

I also think it's inevitable that the refs will make VAR look shite. They're just dying to tell the world that mistakes are just as likely with VAR as they are without, and therefore just scrap VAR.

I always thought using video evidence was an absolute no brainer but then it slowly dawned on me watching BT Sport over a year or two that it would undoubtedly be a disaster. You'd get referees making terrible decisions and then they'd discuss it with Howard fucking Webb at half time and he'd be saying how he thought the ref got it "just about right" or some such shit and then it'd go back to the studio where the pundits would be looking utterly aghast or be pissing themselves laughing at what a load of bollocks they had just listened to. It became pretty obvious that there is no reason to think that the twat in the video van would be any less incompetent than the twat on the pitch.

Excellent ref in the Chelsea game last night and yet VAR controversy still popped up.
Aye. Daft BBC pundits don't understand how VAR works. Only "clear and conclusive" incidents can be overturned. Willian's was unclear - I, like many others, thought Willian made the most of it. Initiated contact which wasn't even contact it was so minimal and not enough to go over for a penalty. Referee was spot on.

some people just don't get it
iu

I thought exactly the same yesterday watching the Chelsea Match. Convenient that VAR seems to come with a nice little get out clause, allowing officials to continue play if they feel there's been no infringement. I'm sure that will only be used wisely and responsibly by the impeccable referees we're currently blessed with...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.