Pablo Maffeo - 2017/2018 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
good problem to have, stick with the guy who can stick it in the top corner playing LB or bring through the young lad who's gone away and done everything asked of him and more.

Depends what we want to do with LB.

As I said...not going to happen. If we want Maffeo to ever play for us he needs to come back and train with Pep.
I said in the best case he could go somewhere, develop, and we could buy him back. That's definitely possible, it happens all the time. Whether you think it's likely or not is pretty irrelevant to what I was saying.

I said in the best case he could go somewhere, develop, and we could buy him back. That's definitely possible, it happens all the time. Whether you think it's likely or not is pretty irrelevant to what I was saying.

You said it makes sense to sell one of the best young RBs in all of Europe because we "already spent the money on Danilo." That is a sunk cost. The money has been spent. Many think Maffeo is already a better player than Danilo. Those who don't, generally agree that he will be far better than Danilo after a year or two under Pep. If you don't rate the kid, fair enough but your argument is frankly stupid from a club, footballing, and financial perspective.

How is that in any way the "best case" scenario?

You're saying the best case scenario is we sell him for peanuts, then few years later end up spending a ton to bring him back, while Danilo has lost all re-sale value and goes for next to nothing.

You said it makes sense to sell one of the best young RBs in all of Europe because we "already spent the money on Danilo." That is a sunk cost. The money has been spent. Many think Maffeo is already a better player than Danilo. Those who don't, generally agree that he will be far better than Danilo after a year or two under Pep. If you don't rate the kid, fair enough but your argument is frankly stupid from a club, footballing, and financial perspective.

How is that in any way the "best case" scenario?

You're saying the best case scenario is we sell him for peanuts, then few years later end up spending a ton to bring him back, while Danilo has lost all re-sale value and goes for next to nothing.
No, we're getting in a stupid rhetorical argument here. To be clear I do not want to sell Maffeo. Obviously my original post wasn't clear enough but the basic point I failed at making was while I would like to keep him I think the most likely scenario (again, not my preference) is that we can't shift Danilo given his wages and our recent history of moving players on, and given Maffeo's contract situation we end up selling him for a decent fee with a buyback. In that scenario the best case scenario would be that he goes out, does really well, and we can bring him back. Mostly because I just like him as a player and would like to see him do well.

No, we're getting in a stupid rhetorical argument here. To be clear I do not want to sell Maffeo. Obviously my original post wasn't clear enough but the basic point I failed at making was while I would like to keep him I think the most likely scenario (again, not my preference) is that we can't shift Danilo given his wages and our recent history of moving players on, and given Maffeo's contract situation we end up selling him for a decent fee with a buyback. In that scenario the best case scenario would be that he goes out, does really well, and we can bring him back. Mostly because I just like him as a player and would like to see him do well.

The point you are missing is Maffeo, as an academy product, is a free spot in our roster. We can keep both and let Danilo sit if he doesn't want to leave. There is NO upside to letting him go and NO downside to making him Walker's understudy. Sucks for Danilo...but...

The point you are missing is Maffeo, as an academy product, is a free spot in our roster. We can keep both and let Danilo sit if he doesn't want to leave. There is NO upside to letting him go and NO downside to making him Walker's understudy. Sucks for Danilo...but...

I'm not sure it would even suck for Danilo that much...he wanted to play a bigger role than he did at Real, and that's simply not happened. He was supposedly going to play back up to Mendy, but within 2 months he got replaced at that position by Delph, and now Zinchenko. He probably isn't happy with that, and it wouldn't be a surprise if he seeks a starting position elsewhere in the summer.

The way I see it is that we need to resolve Maffeo's long-term future one way or another this summer. His current deal only has a year left and while hopefully we can tie him I can see if he wouldn't be in a rush to re-sign if he's not only behind Walker, but going to be competing with Danilo for playing time as well. If he doesn't re-sign are we willing to gamble and keep him with a year left on his contract if we have concrete offers? Who knows, but I think its a little unlikely both Danilo and Maffeo are on the roster next year. Hopefully this is all just a moot point, Danilo finds a move, and Maffeo comes back this summer on a new contract.

Bring back Maffeo as Walker’s understudy. Start him every cup game and possibly a few games in the league. Then after one season with us I would expect him to slowly challenge for the number 1 spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.