Singing section/Atmosphere

I thought their fans were brilliant. They've come all that way, without a hope of progressing and got behind their team for the full game. Sure, some of their chants are monotonous, but I'd rather have that than outright silence, which we have now. I think the perfect mix is Celtic who have drums/capo's and monotonous songs at times, but then sing more British styled songs as well.

I only see us either regressing and becoming a fanbase like Arsenal who literally just go and watch a game, or taking an ultras approach like Palace/Huddersfield/Celtic/Rangers etc.

We have, but we can't get that amount of fans any higher up 115. Many seats have been taken in the cup scheme.

1 of the other lads in 1894 stood in the middle of 115 and he told me he couldn't hear us at the front. So if he couldn't hear us, there's no chance of the ground hearing us.

I know this isn't going to happen. But until there are sufficient numbers into the 100's, can we get that many(?), in 1 block, nothing will change. And even then I just think because of the age of our fan base, and the English/PL apathy to singing and creating an atmosphere, nothing will change at City.

The club has also actively sought a new fan base, which is now made up of tourists, day trippers and corporates. That was a large percentage of the crowd last night. They don't know the chants. The corporate and seating configurations are proof of that. But TBF, if regular City fans don't go to CL games, then you can't blame the club for filling the stadium that way. No doubt come the qf and sf the regulars will claim their tickets. But bar the derby and the odd big match, the atmosphere will stay the same.

This shows how paranoid we are as a fan base. Or was it just us? We had a drum last night, but we only used it for the Guardiola chant. We didn't want to piss you lot off with a drum, as we know there is some opposition to it. We never had plans to bang it non-stop, just to trial it.

Sadly I don't see anything changing soon as regards the poor atmosphere at City.

The singing section in 115 hasn't worked.
The Kippax corner which used to be decent has died a death.
The SS expansion with the low roof hasn't improved the atmosphere, bar for away fans. The irony.
Other parts of the ground that used to join in, singing and doing the Poznan, have gone quieter.

Perhaps I'm on my own, but I honestly think we've gone backwards as regards supporting the team and creating an atmosphere at City.

Hopefully we'll be up for it against United?

To back up the above and a few other points, we cant blame those that make effort which some fans still are doing, the blame is those that DONT make effort.

We have tried every suggestion on here but if fans don't buy in to what a group of 50 try to do then it cant be forced.

MYTH - singing section / 1894 cant dictate songs that are sung. We know what needs singing, you try dictating what should be sung on a match day.

MYTH - Try standing back / middle / bottom / third tier. This makes no difference, it needs 200 fans to sing, we offer fans to engage but not enough numbers come forward. It is difficult to group up at times as 115 area where the singing tends to start has fans on the cup scheme.

We keep offering singers to group, next home CL game we could have put to one side 200 tickets for grouping. But only 50 buy into it.

Last night people didn't come because of the dead rubber situation in the actual game, fans that did go couldn't be bothered to sing. It wont work unless more fans engage, there is no magic wand or acoustics or what ever excuses used. Its the fans that need to sing !

The big advantage of grouping at the front of 115 as apposed to anywhere else is that you can control the visual side, its nit just singing, like the Napoli fans / like the Basel fans, there is also the visual element. Huge banners like the MCFC OK and help up banners at the front. Fortunately even though the singing wasn't good from a visual point it was quite good.

And before anybody says it "no flags don't sing"

I must say the singing done by the Basel fans become monotonous after a few minutes.

How can anyone says that orchestrated 'singing' is anything but tedious

When Jesus scored they carried on as if nothing happened.

I hope we never see that sort of thing here

Serious ?

the basel fans where amazing, you don't want 90 minutes of great atmosphere ?

Has to be best one that.

I must say the singing done by the Basel fans become monotonous after a few minutes.

How can anyone says that orchestrated 'singing' is anything but tedious

When Jesus scored they carried on as if nothing happened.

I hope we never see that sort of thing here

agreed, we'd just end up singing the Edin Dzeko song for 90 minutes. Best thing about English atmosphere is the songs are spontaneous and creative.

Serious ?

the basel fans where amazing, you don't want 90 minutes of great atmosphere ?

Has to be best one that.

it was a shit atmosphere. The same 4 songs all night long, regardless of what was going on, was like a prog rock record on loop. Add in flares because that immediately makes it "cooler", out-of-sync clapping and drumming and you have yourself begging for a fire drill so they have to bugger off.

agreed, we'd just end up singing the Edin Dzeko song for 90 minutes. Best thing about English atmosphere is the songs are spontaneous and creative.

Anti-Dzeko song justice warriors will be pleased to know that it didn't get an airing until the 65th minute last night. Funnily enough, it was the one song that got the majority of our block singing whereas others didn't catch on quite as much.

Atmosphere will always be shit when half our season ticket holders cant be arsed to turn up for these games and are happy to give up their seats to tourists. Hardly any league regulars around me.. that said I’m in the family stand level 2 so most of these absentees were’nt missed noise wise!
I know speaking for myself as much as I love City, back in the day I went to almost all of our Full Members Cup games home and away(Leeds away comes to mind stood there wishing for the love of god it didn't go to extra time!!!)and I even managed over 20 games one season though I lived in Germany at the time.

Its not that I'm not arsed I hate the Champions League with a passion, I hate UEFA, I hate the commercials they force on us(especially the Gazprom one, a company that payrolled much of the war in Eastern Ukraine which directly led to the death of John Alder and Liam Sweeney, fans like ourselves who's only crime was to be on the "wrong" plane flying over the wrong part of the world),

I hate the fact that companies that sponsor our club have everything removed or blanked off(UEFA even see Sport England as a threat to their advertising revenue).

I hate the fact we have to sit through their bullshit Racism Campaign when you know that if anything remotely racist happens they will just totally ignore it and yes I hate the fact it's just a night out for the majority of the people there, and perhaps the final slap on the face is no matter how many of these games I attend I'm unlikely to get anywhere near a ticket for the final, even if I wasn't also priced out.

So speaking for myself its a choice I make, it's not that I can't be bothered it's just at some point you have to just walk away for your own good.

Last edited:
Anti-Dzeko song justice warriors will be pleased to know that it didn't get an airing until the 65th minute last night. Funnily enough, it was the one song that got the majority of our block singing whereas others didn't catch on quite as much.

it will always be the Caballero song in my heart.

it was a shit atmosphere. The same 4 songs all night long, regardless of what was going on, was like a prog rock record on loop. Add in flares because that immediately makes it "cooler", out-of-sync clapping and drumming and you have yourself begging for a fire drill so they have to bugger off.

In your opinion of course. I'm not the biggest fan of the choreographed chanting that a lot of these continental fans indulge in but it's still far better than standing there in complete silence and moaning about the noise they're making.

Aris fans were the loudest fans I've ever witnessed at that stadium and they smash every English club into oblivion for atmosphere. So fucking what if some of it was choreographed - they were fantastic and it takes a lot of energy to go at it for 90 minutes flat out. I don't give a fuck that they weren't reacting to events on the pitch - attending a football match should never entirely be about what goes on on the pitch anyway (IMHO of course).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.