US vs UK culture

I think one of the reasons America suffers from a lack of 'culture' is a great deal of people are very transient.
If I work with 50 people, there are very, very few who are Floridians, never mind from Tampa.
From November to April all the snowbirds come down from New England / New York and then depart back home.

I think one of the reasons America suffers from a lack of 'culture' is a great deal of people are very transient.
If I work with 50 people, there are very, very few who are Floridians, never mind from Tampa.
From November to April all the snowbirds come down from New England / New York and then depart back home.
And good on them for that. Sun chasing for the Vit D deprived is important to wellbeing, just ask the Welsh

this is one of the main differences, which means the streets of our cities are safer in the UK. 30,000 gun deaths per year in US, 50 - 100 per yea in UK (uk population about 20% of US population).
Other main difference is free healthcare UK for everyone.

other than that its pretty similar as far as I can see. My perspective is based on being english with an american wife.
Hahaha!

Safer streets and “free” healthcare?

1) Almost every American street is safer than almost any downtown UK High street at closing time, otherwise they’re both just fine.
2) Nothing is free. But you certainly get what you pay for in the U.K., which is not much at all!

There's a big difference in levels of happiness I find, as an outsider to both countries.

The last time I visited the UK i collected my suitcase at the airport and made my way to Avis rental car desk, with whom I had booked a hire car, there were 3 people sat behind the desk staring at computer screens, not one of them looked up when I stood there, I had to say 'excuse me'.........one of them managed to lift her head to speak to me, they looked like the 3 most miserable people in the world, whereas when I arrived in the States and did the same thing I was greeted with a smiley 'Good morning' and some friendly chatter about my flight and other things. Makes a big difference after a 20 hour flight.
The yanks are a positive bunch !

One big difference I dont think anyone has mentioned is the tipping culture, like the UK, we dont tip in Oz generally, in the US if you dont tip at least 15% for fucking everything, your a twat, its an annoying part of the American culture.
Considering the prices in the UK and Oz, we can afford it here! Even with 15%, th8ngs are still squally about 25% cheaper! I was just out enjoying a 16oz sirloin steak, cooked and seasoned to perfection, baked potato and broccoli, side salad and a 22oz COLD beer...$25 (£18). With generous tip, $30 (£22). Haven’t find that in and around Manchester recently.

I live half the year on a Florida over 55 community. The 'older' Americans are exceedingly friendly, neighbourly and generous...Few of them understand geography,history or politics The younger ones are plain noisy ,But I am a miserable old git

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.