Liverpool (h) - CL QF post match thread

Fair comment except for the defence part. Check the Premier League table and the goals against column - the best in the league.

Bit of a myth about our defence isn't it?

Yes of course it can improve but then again maybe we would not have scored 90 as well.
We have a good defensive record because most teams in the PL have zero ambition against us. Only Liverpool and Spurs bother to attack us.

Fair comment except for the defence part. Check the Premier League table and the goals against column - the best in the league.

Yes of course it can improve but then again maybe we would not have scored 90 as well.

I’m not really talking about the league. I’m talking about the last 8 and beyond in the CL. I just think you missed a trick with VVD. Aguero needs a natural successor. You haven’t got him. You are fortunate that you will be able to buy people, but they have to be right, not just expensive.

I thought you were brilliant first half, but as I said, I could sense not capitalising would finish you and it did.

Keeping the ball against the lesser sides in the Premier League has helped our defensive stats no end, when it comes to the better sides in the CL we won't keep the ball as much and they'll put pressure on our defence.
Our defence falls apart when that happens

Keeping the ball against the lesser sides in the Premier League has helped our defensive stats no end, when it comes to the better sides in the CL we won't keep the ball as much and they'll put pressure on our defence.
Our defence falls apart when that happens
And so did Pep's Bayern.
3 semi finals
Lost all 3 conceding 12 goals.

Any small pressure or attack vs our defence holds a big chance of actually conceding a goal. Surely that has to stop.

Imo it wont improve with replacing current, already very expensive defenders with new ones. It has to come with coaching them differently, set them up differently, defend differently as a team.

If it will take to park the bus for 20-30 minutes in certain games to win the CL I am all for it.

While I would have liked us to win it, you can see that as a competition it's nothing special. Look at which teams are going to be in the quarter finals.

An English team miles behind the leaders and probably 4th after Spurs play their game in hand.

A Spanish team miles behind the leaders and in 4th place in their league.

An Italian team miles behind the leaders and in 4th place in their league.

A German team that probably couldn't not win the league even if they tried.

Not exactly cause for any, except possibly Bayern, to claim that they are champions of Europe.

Any small pressure or attack vs our defence holds a big chance of actually conceding a goal. Surely that has to stop.

Imo it wont improve with replacing current, already very expensive defenders with new ones. It has to come with coaching them differently, set them up differently, defend differently as a team.

If it will take to park the bus for 20-30 minutes in certain games to win the CL I am all for it.
I am with you.
There have been plenty of exciting teams who knew how to defend. Not sure there have been too many great ones who didn't.

Sane was onside when De Bruyne played the ball to him and this takes precedence over the ball deflecting off two opponents afterwards.
You're right I believe. I've misread the wording. He has to be in an offside position when the ball is played by his team-mate. If he isn't then he can't subsequently be offside is the way I now read it.

I thought he could either be offside when the ball is played by his team-mate OR if he's gaining an advantage once it's been played by an opponent, despite being on-side when the ball is played by a team-mate. Clearly that latter understanding isn't the case & the 'or' clause in the law is a sub-set of him being offside when his own team-mate played the ball.

I am with you.
There have been plenty of exciting teams who knew how to defend. Not sure there have been too many great ones who didn't.

Its not even about giving up style or anything its about being clever at the right time. Adapting to the game. Seems Pep doesnt care about this much he wants to show the world you can win CL by playing attack, attack, attack, and even defenders supposed to think every second how to score the next one instead of keep a clean sheet.
Even for Ederson its more important how to pass it around for making attacks quicker and having bigger possession than is he actually saving some shots.

And so did Pep's Bayern.
3 semi finals
Lost all 3 conceding 12 goals.

That statistic would worry me but Pep has supreme confidence in his way of playing and his record in League titles is superb but not so much in the CL

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.