George Floyd murder | Clashes between US police and protestors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm biased but Police in this country are almost second to none in the world. Selection/training all top quality. There has been a political erosion of pay and conditions over the last decade which has really not helped the individual or each force-for example, community policing is vital in developing relationships but because its not quantifiable, it has all but disappeared.

That said last night's policing response showed the police in a v positive light-public order tactics which enable peaceful protest.

There are clearly deeper problems in the US-but these aren't simply police problems, they run so much deeper in society.

What I would say about that particular case is police here are taught about the dangers of positional asphyxia-if someone is intoxicated, under the influence or is of larger build there is a real risk to someone's life if they are pinned face down for any length of time. It is often necessary to do that but once control is gained you must move the person onto their side or back.

What I would say about that particular case is police here are taught about the dangers of positional asphyxia-if someone is intoxicated, under the influence or is of larger build there is a real risk to someone's life if they are pinned face down for any length of time. It is often necessary to do that but once control is gained you must move the person onto their side or back.
That's interesting, because apparently one of the officers in the Floyd case (Thomans Lane, a rookie cop who was still in his probationary period) can be heard on one of the videos asking Chauvin if they should be moving him onto his side now. Chauvin, the more senior officer, said no and proceeded to kill him. So, that suggests that Lane, at least, was fully aware of the training you've mentioned above.

I'm biased but Police in this country are almost second to none in the world. Selection/training all top quality. There has been a political erosion of pay and conditions over the last decade which has really not helped the individual or each force-for example, community policing is vital in developing relationships but because its not quantifiable, it has all but disappeared.

That said last night's policing response showed the police in a v positive light-public order tactics which enable peaceful protest.

There are clearly deeper problems in the US-but these aren't simply police problems, they run so much deeper in society.

I agree. nowadays.

But it was not so long ago that Margaret Thatcher turned the police against the coal miners and caused irrepairable damage to the credibility of the police image. The police, in my opinion, are still trying to recover their reputation and credibility somewhat from that and there is still an element of deep rooted mistrust is the poorer areas around the UK.

Something to consider when we claim to be nothing like the US.

I agree. nowadays.

But it was not so long ago that Margaret Thatcher turned the police against the coal miners and caused irrepairable damage to the credibility of the police image. The police, in my opinion, are still trying to recover their reputation and credibility somewhat from that and there is still an element of deep rooted mistrust is the poorer areas around the UK.

Something to consider when we claim to be nothing like the US.
But the sole answer isn't policing-yes, community policing helps, enagaing with communties, breaking down barriers; but the real solution is much harder-its about investment in those areas, education, inclusion-locking people up is only a short term solution.

*these are my personal views*

That's interesting, because apparently one of the officers in the Floyd case (Thomans Lane, a rookie cop who was still in his probationary period) can be heard on one of the videos asking Chauvin if they should be moving him onto his side now. Chauvin, the more senior officer, said no and proceeded to kill him. So, that suggests that Lane, at least, was fully aware of the training you've mentioned above.

I can only say how police are taught here-but it is unimagineable that US officers are not taught the same. There is nothing wrong with using your body to control someone who is non compliant but you have to be aware when the problem shifts from control to endangering somebody's safety.

Drew Brees appears to be in hot water after rather surprisingly misguided take

Brees appears to be a genuine passionate person, who is charitable and, more importantly, socially aware and understanding. He is, by all accounts, a huge asset to the city of New Orleans. It is precisely because of this that his misguided comments, obfuscating the real intentions behind Kaepernick's protest is disappointing eliciting such a visceral reaction. Several teammates have called him out, including Jenkins above, and the 2nd most important player on the team Michael Thomas.

https://twitter.com/Cantguardmike/status/1268240391561773057

I can only say how police are taught here-but it is unimagineable that US officers are not taught the same. There is nothing wrong with using your body to control someone who is non compliant but you have to be aware when the problem shifts from control to endangering somebody's safety.
It'll all come out in the trial, but I suspect "career fear" will have played a considerable role in the complicit behaviour of the two rookie cops (Lane and Kueng). It will certainly be their defence, anyway. They'll have known all about Chauvin's reputation. He had 18 complaints against him; yet here he is, still a serving police officer and still roughing up suspects.

Of course, it may turn out that Lane and Kueng are just a pair of psychopaths. But it does show how intimidating it must be for a "good cop" to turn on a "bad cop" when that bad cop has managed to hang around for so long whilst repeatedly behaving like a complete ****. Stating the obvious here, but their disciplinary procedures need a drastic overhaul!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.