Political relations between UK-EU

Did the UK pay Astrazeneca upfront for vaccines like the EU did?

Apart from paying for vaccines, I heard that the EU put in a billion euro for their research (and the USA a billion dollars) and the UK put in £65 million. Anyone got any more accurate figures?
I think everyone who made orders paid the same way as in upfront or how a contract was made.
The amount paid will be different only because of how many doses are ordered. I did read there might be a small difference for each dose because of different logistical reasons.
Not 100% sure but I think the EU billion or so is for vaccine orders and a seperate 100 million towards the CEPI research.
The UK gave 65 million alone to the oxford research if I remember correctly and have contributed to CEPI more per capita than any other country around 200 million, I may be wrong on that one but I think UK are the biggest contributers.

Edit
I think you are referring to the EU horizon which is a EU project which they are putting 1 billion into, mainly EU research funding and projects for COVID and future research.

Last edited:
I don’t really see how the AZ EU dispute is a Brexit issue tbh.
Other than the fact that two different jurisdictions had two different policies in the role out.

The thing is AZ took the money from the EU up front for the development of upping the manufacturing capacity for everyone and signed a contract, which I wouldn’t mind seeing, saying what they would supply.

I’d imagine the UK government has a similar contract worth seeing.

The EU are perfectly within their rights to sue AZ and their members would expect nothing less.

If fulfilling the EU order impacts on the UK contract being fulfilled then the UK government would be perfectly within their rights to sue AZ also, and you would expect them to.

If you want to talk about the ethics or morality of the situation then examine the private company profiting from a crisis by promising more than they can deliver and accepting the development money knowingly.
These pharmaceuticals are not in this for altruism, it’s not purely for the benefit of mankind.
Otherwise why don’t they sell the vaccine off patent. We have enough pharmaceutical companies here in Ireland that could manufacture our own, but there is less profit in that.

Britain pursued their own policy as is their right but this dispute has nothing to do with Brexit. IMO.

Still not a Brexit issue but;
As I said earlier, sell off patent to benefit the whole world.
Shame on you for suggesting that confronting a pandemic requires a co-ordinated global response beyond petty nationalism and a belief in the 'hidden hand' of the market.

Brexit has everything to do with them threatening Britain, not for the reason of leaving but they wouldn’t be threatening Britain with blocking exports if we were still in the bloc, I don’t think anyone would argue that as it would threaten the very nature of the Four Freedoms if they did.

But ok, Britain did leave and therefore they are welcome to act in their own interest, which I would be saying if it was clothes or mustard or hair combs, but this is life saving medicine they are playing with.

The Oxford vaccine was developed by scientists in the UK, with funding from the UK taxpayer, at a British institution.

Britain approved it and paid its own business before the EU did, comfortably so as well.

The EU was very late to the party and now they have arrived there have been hiccups and things haven’t gone to plan regarding supply. Fortunately for us the UK acted far quicker and has got a lot of its supply, which is mostly being manufactured here, by British citizens, on our manufacturing plants.

Had the EU not pissed about they would be in a far better place and would have a chunk of that supply that is now being administered to UK citizens.

Of course AZ need to pull their fingers out but to say they haven’t humanity in mind is very sceptical thinking and also without actual knowledge of their operation. They could have charged more after all.

Contractually I agree, the EU has a right to be annoyed by AZ but I doubt AZ are being slow on purpose, even Vallance said tonight they’re not making widgets, they’re making vaccines which takes time and there’s always some delays with these types of products and even so when hundreds of millions needs vaccines.

The rest of Europe, your country included, is very very fucking lucky British science developed this vaccine, as we are in Britain too I should add, so we’re not all relying on one American company, with a vaccine that is much harder to transfer and store, that is having supply issues itself.

The EU has fucked about and is now trying to bully itself into a better situation because there are supply issues they should have planned for, rather than threatening to block exports of this vaccine and the other that Britain had approved and paid for 2 months ago, to the very country that developed one of the two main vaccines in the world, they should take it up with AZ directly, without threatening the lives of UK citizens, because of their own ineptitude.

The level of being ungrateful bullies is telling.
The level of jingoism is telling.

"British" Oxford vaccine team - 4 of the lead 6 are not British
  • Director of Jenner institute - IRISH
  • Research Scientist – Team Head FRENCH
  • Clinical scientist - AMERICAN (I think)
  • Associate professor - AUSTRALIAN

Last edited:
Nope-

So let me get this right. A British university developed a vaccine, with the British contributing the most to its development. Said vaccine is being manufactured by a half British company with most of it coming from a British manufacturing site. The British government then agreed and paid for a certain amount of vaccine, before it had even been approved for use. Yet the EU wants to bully their way into the supply even though they put in an order 3 months after the British and have yet to approve its use.

I am pro EU but they can go fuck themselves in this instance.

Nope-

So that's the largest (single) national source of funding is from the UK, with 28 published calls. Europe collectively has published 127 calls. And no indication there of the value of any funding awarded.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.