Offside judgement (Laporte v Wolves)

Will they include the WHOLE FOOT, or just enough of the foot to show Laporte’s arm is offside...even after waiting for the ball to long since come off Bernardo’s head?!

There was SO MUCH WRONG with the Laporte decision, it’s not even funny!

1) When the froze the play
2) Where they drew the defenders foot line
3) How far down the arm they drew Laporte’s line
4) How big and fat they made the Laporte line, while the defenders line cuts off his heel and is razor thin
5) Pawson trying to make a strong decision! Say no more!
Tbf the line is only one pixel wide, they then “fatten” it for tv purposes.

Can we just agree, that the edge of the shoulder, would be much more of a sensible cut off point, than the full sleeve of an arm? Nobody gains an advantage with the sleeve of an arm.

It's not good for football, that goals like Laporte's are ever ruled out. The only consolations are, that City aren't the only team to have had one of those and that in the end, it didn't cost City any points.

Also, I actually feel if anything, giving Wolves the opportunity to come back into the game(2-0 would have killed it) and test City, is something the team needed. A little reminder of why we need to take our opportunities when they come and a reason to go through the gears, which might be harder to do if we win in first gear for too long.

Last edited:
But they don’t “draw” the lines do they. It’s hawk eye that calibrates each pitch in as the article above explains. They click a cross hair and the system renders that position in 3D space. It’s only perspective that makes you think things aren’t straight or 90 degrees, though your valiant effort at line drawing was lovely.
I think I can handle a bit of primary school geometry. If there were to be any allowance for perspective - although with the angle and distances involved, that would be infinitesimal, then their dotted line should be further left at the bottom, compared to the top. In actual fact it's the other way around, so the 3D geometry argument is invalid. But anyway, to all intents and purposes the dotted line needs to be vertical and it is not.

Now maybe they have a "fiddle the result" button which automatically generates non-vertical line, slanted in the appropriate direction in order to skew the result? I doubt that, don't you? Conclusion: they drew it on.

Should be simple enough to write a bit of software to check automatically instead of some bored refereed trying to remember what he learnt at school 4o years ago.

Are they using bottom of the shirt sleeve? What if long sleeve shirt on? Arbitrary point then?

Now maybe they have a "fiddle the result" button which automatically generates non-vertical line, slanted in the appropriate direction in order to skew the result? I doubt that, don't you? Conclusion: they drew it on.
OK fella, you believe whatever it is you want to believe. I'll stick with being rational.

Are they using bottom of the shirt sleeve? What if long sleeve shirt on? Arbitrary point then?
They aren't using the sleeve per se (as sleeves are different lengths) but a position "at the bottom of the armpit on the arm" which is, as you say, arbitrary and a bit silly if you ask me. There are a few articles posted on it earlier in the thread.

Well yes, but only in the moment. They're supposed to allow play to continue and then flag during a break in play or a breakdown of the move. If that break in play happens to be a goal, then they flag after the goal is scored, which is what they did tonight. The goal happened almost instantly after the possible offside, so the flag went up instantly. If a marginal offside had been 20 seconds earlier in the build up to the goal, then she would have waited until the goal and then put her flag up for the offside 20 seconds earlier.
They put the flag up, despite clear instructions for them not too unless its clearly offside. On both occasions. So would have been offside without VAR in place, thats the point!! The Ball went in the net on both occasions so goals would be automatically checked so no need to Flag to check unless they thought “clearly offside”. Can you not see the issue with that behaviour if we dont have VAR as a safety net??

There is no way both of those incidents were “clearly offside” to anyone apart from the lineswoman. Same as at West Brom, another example where they are not following their own instructions and offside was flagged, for a situation which wasnt offside.

so out of the 3 goals above, without VAR we score 0. With VAR we scored 2. Its not perfect but is way better than leaving the officials to their own devices....

Tbf the line is only one pixel wide, they then “fatten” it for tv purposes.
Measure with a micrometer
Mark with a crayon
Cut with an axe!

They’ve already admitted they simply do not have the technology to measure the time of the last touch with sufficient fidelity to even THINK about using single pixel lines on TV, while also claiming perfect parallel lines across the field.

When we can all see that the ball is airborne AFTER the header, and the players are moving in opposite directions, AND they are measuring a boot stud against some nebulous area on the attackers arm, we have jumped the shark on offside decisions and are swimming in the deep end of the absurdity pool with the required water wings

Measure with a micrometer
Mark with a crayon
Cut with an axe!

They’ve already admitted they simply do not have the technology to measure the time of the last touch with sufficient fidelity to even THINK about using single pixel lines on TV, while also claiming perfect parallel lines across the field.

When we can all see that the ball is airborne AFTER the header, and the players are moving in opposite directions, AND they are measuring a boot stud against some nebulous area on the attackers arm, we have jumped the shark on offside decisions and are swimming in the deep end of the absurdity pool with the required water wings
I’m not saying it’s a good system. I was just explaining about the line width shown being for tv audience purposes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.